Solved

Unable to claim application

• 19 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Frequently I notice the message (snackbar) “unable to claim application” during a login activity. 

Starting condition: My browser is configured to open a tab-page for my application;

Action: I enter my user name and password and press login 

Unpredictable:  I sometimes get the message “Unable to claim application”. Another time login is going perfectly, without getting this message. I have no clue about the root cause!

Settings: My application is configured in the IAM with "max 1 sessions per account" and  with a claim timeout of 1 minute

My questions are: 

1. Does anyone have experience with getting this message 
  2. How can I investigate the root cause of getting this message 
icon

Best answer by Vincent Doppenberg 24 October 2023, 11:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Heini,

When your application is configured to allow a maximum of 1 session per account, then every 2nd, 3rd., etc. session will receive the message “Unable to claim application”. Please note that the claim of the first session will not expire until:

• That session has been logged out explicitly.
  • The session has been idle for longer than the configured claim timeout.

The claim timeout can be configured on the application as well and defaults to 15 minutes.

So you are most likely seeing this behavior because there is already a session active for the account that you are trying to log in, or the session has not been inactive for long enough.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hello,

From user perspective In my description I mentioned the following: 

The last active session was yesterday. These sessions where stopped by shutting down the laptop and the end of the day. This menas that based on the claim timeout of 1 minute, that these sessions where outdated.

So the beginning is there are no active sessions. There where only 2 browsers active where a login screen was presented.

In only one screen I performed the login and than de `Unable to claim` is presented`.

What is the impact of the parameter `claim timeout` when it is set towards 1 minute or 15 minute?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Heini,

The claim timeout determines how long a session will claim a spot of the Max. # sessions per account for an application. If a session is active, the claim will be extended when Indicium receives a request after half of the claim timeout has expired. In other words, if the session is idle during the latter half of the claim timeout, the claim will expire and the spot will be freed for a new session.

Indicium uses cookies to differentiate new and existing sessions, it could be possible that simultaneous requests erroneously cause the application to be claimed twice. If you can report a ticket and include a .har file, we can investigate this further.