Solved

starting model from SF in correct branch for testing during developing

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

We usually start the model I'm currently developing on directly from the SF with an ini file like this:

MetaSource     = SF
RDBMS = SQLServer
Server = sqlserver.thinkwisesoftware.com\sql2019
Database = SF_DEV
Authentication = MSWindows
Model = MyModel
Branch = 1.20
ExecutionMode = Developer

But everytime I'm working in a different branch, forcing me to constantly change the branch in the ini file to make sure I open the correct branch.

Is there a way to start the application from the SF directly in the current branch?

Additionally, when the application is already started I cannot see which branch I'm using….

I also noticed that when I make a new branch using our naming convention (unfortunately TW forces upper case): TOPIC\S110-MMS12345-TEST_OMSCHRIJVING the splashscreen won't show the branch name:

In this situation I cannot know for sure which branch is starting...

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 5 June 2023, 15:23

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Alban,

I think it is due to the branch name size:

Example of DEVELOP branch
Example of branch with 37 characters

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@Alban_T would this Idea help you too? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Is it not an idea to add a ‘Switch Branch’ feature in the Windows GUI? So that any active branch can be chosen from inside the GUI? Like how it is in Universal.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The Branch parameter is optional, if you don’t use it it will always start the latest branch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is it not an idea to add a ‘Switch Branch’ feature in the Windows GUI? So that any active branch can be chosen from inside the GUI? Like how it is in Universal.

Although the Windows GUI does support switching of applications when the meta source is IAM, once it is SF it does not. I'm unsure this is feasible to implement in the current 2-tier version of the Windows GUI.

Maybe once Windicium comes around, it will use the same method of obtaining model data as the Universal GUI. Then it could simply always show a Application switch bar I think.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

The Branch parameter is optional, if you don’t use it it will always start the latest branch.

That way it could be a branch my colleague is working on ;)

For now I created a little app that reads the available models and branches from the db and lest the user pick the desired combination.
The app generates/overwrites a local ini file and starts TW using this ini.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi Alban,

I think it is due to the branch name size:

Example of DEVELOP branch
Example of branch with 37 characters

Not its not.
Its the \ in the branch name.
Today I created a branch with another long name but used a / instead of the \ (the / is conform our naming convention, the \ isn't) and the name showed (truncated due to the length) on the splashscreen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ah okay, never thought that character could influence that. I think we should sanitize the input of the branch name to prevent this from happening. That would mean the characters “/” and “\” will be replaced with an underscore “_”, similar to how a Model name is sanitized.

I'll discuss it with the team, thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Ah okay, never thought that character could influence that. I think we should sanitize the input of the branch name to prevent this from happening. That would mean the characters “/” and “\” will be replaced with an underscore “_”, similar to how a Model name is sanitized.

is there a special reason why branchnames are all capitals??
If not, please drop that as well in your conversation with the team 😇

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

speaking about sanatizing the input…
This branchname is allowed during creation of the branch but apperently too long for the merging…

the domain model_vrs_description is a varchar(100) while the branch_id is a nvarchar(300).
The DEFAULT generates the description by concatonating a prefix such as ‘Merge’ with the branch_id which is potentially 300 chars long AND Nvarchar and last but not least a suffix such as ‘imminent (x)’
I think the varchar100 for dbo.model_vrs_description should be at least a Nvarchar(400) to be sure all special characters and length of the branch_id will fit…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ah, that is quite problematic I see. The Model version description uses a domain that allows 100 characters. Nevertheless, I don't recommend creating Branch names that are that long anyway. But good you found the limiting constraint 😅

What we do internally is using the User story ID + two or three keywords to be recognizable. Something like “12345_CLEAN_UP” will do the trick.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Ah, that is quite problematic I see. The Model version description uses a domain that allows 100 characters. Nevertheless, I don't recommend creating Branch names that are that long anyway. But good you found the limiting constraint 😅

What we do internally is using the User story ID + two or three keywords to be recognizable. Something like “12345_CLEAN_UP” will do the trick.

Ahh I was editing while you were typing :p

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Alban,

For the 2023.2 release, we have decided to not change the allowed input for Branch names nor any settings regarding casing. That means the Branch name will still be Uppercase. We do not recommend making the branch name contain a description.

Model versions have been revised to no longer contain the branch name, and a model version type has been introduced explaining in which process the model version was created.

Feel free to create an Idea if you have any additions 😄