Solved

Run Indicium on Linux

• 1 April 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Does Indicium run well in a Linux environment? I haven't tried Mono yet but apparently it is capable of running .net core applications. Is the current version of Indicium ready for it?
icon

Best answer by Anne Buit 2 April 2019, 08:21

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi Roland,

The Linux build of Indicium is mostly feature-complete. A few libraries are not yet fully compatible. However, if they are not required by any of the applications, you can run Indicium fine without them.

The following features are not available on Linux at the time of writing:
  • Windows authentication
  • DB2 products
  • Crystal Reports
  • DevExpress reports
  • SSRS reports
Naturally, we'll keep working on solutions to support these features.

The Linux build has been distributed manually up until now, I'll see if we can add this build to the available builds for download.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
We rely heavily on Windows authentication and reports are necessary too so we wouldn't be able to implement it just yet based on your info. However knowing that a wider Linux support is underway is great to know. All in due time.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi Roland,

It will probably take a few more weeks before we will release our first official cross-platform version of Indicium. Once we do, I expect that DevExpress reports with SQL Server data sources will work as well. The rest of the limitations mentioned by Anne will remain for the time being.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

What is the current status of Linux support? We are still on version 2020.1 and cannot upgrade to 2020.2 and later because SQL Server for Linux does not support the filestream and filetable features. Is there a solution for this now or in the near future, other than migrating to Windows?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Roland,

The files stored in the Software Factory and IAM database in 2020.2 and up are not stored as filestreams but as plain blobs. This change should not be breaking on Linux databases.

Can you verify this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi Roland,

It will probably take a few more weeks before we will release our first official cross-platform version of Indicium. Once we do, I expect that DevExpress reports with SQL Server data sources will work as well. The rest of the limitations mentioned by Anne will remain for the time being.

Hi @Vincent Doppenberg is DevExpress supported on Linux? Or can we get an update on what is/isn't supported on Linux? @Anne Buit 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Freddy,

I was under the impression that DevExpress reports would work on Linux but I have realized that this is not quite the case just yet. We will try to support this in our next release or perhaps the one after that.

As for an update regarding the features that are not supported on Linux at this moment:

• DB2 databases
  • Crystal Reports
  • DevExpress Reports
  • SSRS Reports
  • Print File process action
  • Integrated Windows authentication

I will leave an update here once DevExpress reports are supported.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello @Freddy ,

As of the latest release of Indicium (2022.2.15.1), DevExpress reports on Linux are supported. Please read the release notes to see how you can make it work, because it does have some prerequisites.