Solved

Open a reference in the 'Main screen'

• 15 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Is it possible to open a reference in its main screen from a reference in another table?

For example: I want to open the main screen of ‘customer’ by clicking on the customer name in the table ‘task’. I know I can open a lookup screen using ctrl+L, but I want to open it in a new tab as a main screen.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 15 March 2022, 12:52

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Allard, 

This is not possible in the way you describe it.

What you can do is make use of the Detail tiles screen component. This will allow you to have references as Tiles instead of Tabs. Add this component to the (detail) screen type(s) which Task (Taak) uses.

Create a reference between Company (Bedrijf) and Task (Taak), then assign the Detail group in Subjects > Links > Details within the Software Factory. There should now be a Detail tile to open Company (Bedrijf) as a main screen.

In case you would like these tiles a bit smaller, you can make use of the Extended property: SmallDetailTiles

I see that this screen component is missing documentation. I'll raise a ticket for that.

Alternatively you could create an none-logic task, with the bedrijf_id as input parameter, that starts a process flow. This process flow, with process variable for bedrijf_id, then opens the main screen of Company (Bedrijf) and you can decide to Change filters (process action) inside the opened document screen to filter on the bedrijf_id.

More info on process flows here: https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/docs/sf/process_flows

Badge +2

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the answer! Is there any reason that this does not work the way I describe it? Seems like a very intuitive and user friendly way to navigate through an application.

Using detail tiles is a good solution and does what I want. However, it clutters the screen and seems less intuitive to me than using the grid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Currently when double-clicking on a Main screen Grid field, it will open the Form tab of that screen. You can see it in action when opening the Subject screen inside the Software Factory. When on the Overview tab, double click any field and the Form will be opened.

When double-clicking in a Detail Grid (that is not in edit-mode), it will open that screen in a Zoom screen (similar to Main screen). You can see this working in Data model > Tables > Columns. Double click any field and it will open Columns as a Zoom screen.

Changing this would essentially change the way the GUI operates. But I do see the added benefit of opening a lookup as Main screen. For instance, we could add an item in the Context menu (right-click menu in Grid) to open the lookup in a Main screen. Feel free to raise an Idea for this here on the Community.

More on the Windows GUI: https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/docs/user/winweb