Solved

Integration with Matomo

• 12 February 2021
  • 16 replies

Badge

Good morning,

Yesterday we have tried out the extended property that should enable an integration between Thinkwise and Matomo:

We would like to use Matomo for heatmaps and session recordings.

Despite that we have set the extended property (and even installed the JS; https://developer.matomo.org/guides/tracking-javascript-guide), Matomo's dashboard is not receiving any input from our application built in Thinkwise.

Could you explain what we need to do in order to integrate Matomo properly?

Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by René W 16 June 2021, 12:07

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello Ronald,

I'm not sure why the Web GUI won't provide any information. We stopped using Matomo (Piwik at the time) 2 years ago for our own application so we have to investigate what the problem is. In the upcoming sprint we will make some room to research what is going on.

Once an update is available we will come back to you.

Kind Regards,
Roel

Badge

Okay Roel, clear. Thank you.

Please keep in mind that it does not have to be necessarily Matomo. It can also be an alternative like Hotjar etc. as long as we are able to do heatmaps and session recordings.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello Ronald, I created an issue on your behalf. So we can investigate this issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Roland,

We've integrated this logic again in our Web GUI. This will be available from version 2021.1.16 and up which will be released next Tuesday.

The extended properties to use this feature are:

• analyticsEnabled
  • analyticsWebsiteId
  • analyticsWebsiteUrl (new)

We did not build up a Matomo environment ourselfs, so we are very curious whether this works like we expect it to do. Please keep us informed.

Regards, Erik

Badge

Hi Roland,

We've integrated this logic again in our Web GUI. This will be available from version 2021.1.16 and up which will be released next Tuesday.

The extended properties to use this feature are:

• analyticsEnabled
  • analyticsWebsiteId
  • analyticsWebsiteUrl (new)

We did not build up a Matomo environment ourselfs, so we are very curious whether this works like we expect it to do. Please keep us informed.

Regards, Erik

Thanks for your answer. However, if I am really honest with you I do not find it really promising that the development is not fully tested through. How can you guarantee that the Matomo integration is now granting us any input from our application built in Thinkwise? Again, as a ISV it is crucial to amplify our user experience which this integration should enable. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

We used the integrated code till two years ago for our own TCP application to monitor the WebApp usage. We've put the same code back now and compared it to the latest samples on the Matomo website so we are confident it will still work as expected.

We are willing to provide some direct support if it won't work as expected.

Badge

Hello Erik,

This is the input that we receive whenever we are opening a session recording in Matomo:

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This is how the GUI will show up without any stylesheets. The shown texts are parts of our ribbon.

I'm not sure the heatmaps will work on our type of application. The web-page is very dynamic build up, not like a normal static web-page. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Ronald,

Does this link give any clues to solve the problem?

What can I do if the heatmap or session recording is not styled and CSS or font icons seem missing? FAQ - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi,

I've taken a look into it and it looks like the css and some other assets are behind not accessible, they return a http 403 unauthorized in the Matomo application:

If you copy the url (/TsfScriptHandler.ashx?type=css&page=main&file=tsf-compressed.css&?b=16) containing the CSS this only works when you’re logged in via the webgui.

I think that the Matomo client does not have the credentials to download certain assets. I've tried the CORS policy in the FAQ but unfortunately that doesn't affect anything. This is the request for example the matomo client makes:

I'm not sure if this can be fixed or bypassed?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Is it possible to open Mamoto in the same browser instance as you are logged into our Web GUI? If so, Mamoto could use the current session and loaded application definition to provide you the needed stylesheet.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi Erik, I was thinking the same having an active webgui session in the same browser, that should take care of some credentials but unfortunately that didn't help. Tried it both in Chrome and Firefox.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The session cookie is stored client-side on the domain name of the Web GUI. the Mamoto "site” should be hosted on the same origin to make this work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Would it be an option to save the generated CSS from the Web GUI and inject it in the heatmap recording using the browser’s DevTools or a browser extension

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Ronald VH,

Did the answers given in this thread resolve your question?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Ronald VH,

Did the answers given in this thread resolve your question?

Hi,

Unfortunately it didn't resolve what we were trying to achieve. Injecting CSS is somehow not possible.

We currently don't want to spend more time on it as it's obviously not supported out of the box, unfortunately. Due to priority changes we'll postpone this until later.

Br, René