Solved

How/where to show a variable in application UI that is always visible?

• 24 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

We have the following application where you can choose your relation using a task in the menu:

My wish is to show the selected relation somewhere in the UI where this is always visible, so the user always knows the context of what he/she is viewing (the task basically sets prefilters on tables).

I’m sure we’re not the first ones to stumble upon this. Is there currently any way to do this?

I could think of future possible solutions on where to show a ‘global’ variable:

• Set Breadcrum everywhere to a fixed variable.
  • Show a variable in the top (blue) banner to the left of the username.
  • Be able to change the username using a variable.
  • Be able to change the task name using a variable.
  • Or, not only for tasks, be able to assign functionality to a menu (item).
icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 24 January 2024, 14:57

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey Marius,

Same thing would be nice to have for the Software Factory. After the removal of the Project version selector, the visible presence of the chosen Model and branch only can be seen from the Breadcrumb; but that's because most objects are related to branch.

Indeed when you have selected a relation and that does something like showing only data of that relation throughout the application, the lack of being able to show that somewhere is understandable.

Do you feel this idea connects to your wish?:

Display Model and branch in the TSF header | Thinkwise Community (thinkwisesoftware.com)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think this is a great idea as well. However my question/idea goes further than showing the breadcrumb ‘root’. I’d like to show a set variable that can be seen from where in the application 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Understandable, showing data in the header might be a solution, but having a variable data string that can have any given value and showing that value would be a nice addition. I think this will be more of a UIUX decision of what would be a logical place, good font size, and so forth.

Feel free to create an idea for this! I feel this idea would be slightly different from the earlier mentioned idea.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Feel free to create an idea for this! I feel this idea would be slightly different from the earlier mentioned idea.

Idea created 😁👍