Solved

How to handle settings

• 12 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Settings, like PageSize for example, can be placed on different levels. First of all in the TSF as Runtime Configurations. But when a setting is not done in TSF, where should I create a setting like PageSize? Is it possible to add them in IAM in a Global Configuration, or should I create the setting per Application, or should I create the setting in the settings.ini of the web GUI?

Can you please explain how settings are implemented?

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 12 April 2021, 17:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Johan,

There are indeed quite some levels where settings can be entered. In the Model, in the Runtime configuration, in the IAM global configuration, in Web settings.ini, in Indicium inside the appsettings.json and web.config.

It depends which setting you want to set and how globally the setting should be applied. For instance, PageSize is normally something that could be applied globally (e.g. 50) and for some screens be deviated from as it can be set in the Software Factory at Subjects

It's up to you where to apply these settings. For PageSize, I suggest putting it in IAM at Global configurations as there you have a good overview of the extended properties that are applied to your application(s). When developing the application and not using IAM, you can also apply it in the Runtime configuration in the Software Factory.

Did this give you enough information? We are happy to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Mark,

Thnx for your quick response. I agree that PageSize can be created in IAM at Global Configurations. It was defined there with a value 100, but apparently it was not loaded because I only saw 25 records.

In the settings.ini (used by the web GUI) the following line was defined:

GlobalConfiguration  = default

It looks like I have to specify the name, so in my case like:

GlobalConfiguration  = JP-Bouwmanagement

I would expect the default Global Configuration will be used by default anyway, but that is not the case. I have to specify it with the right name.

Can you also explain a bit more about the order in which settings are being used when specified in multiple places? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As far as I'm aware it is like the following: ( < meaning "gets overruled by)

Windows settings < Global settings (.ini, files) < Application settings (Configurations / Extended properties) < Model settings (Subjects have Default settings and (<) per subject-settings)