Solved

How to browse for filename with path, without actually uploading the data?

• 24 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Using the File upload control it is possible to upload a file. Using File upload requires a Storage location in the database.

Is there an option to browse for a file (or folder) and only import the selected path (with filename), but without actually having to upload a file?

I want to use this in combination with BULK INSERT, so don't need an uploaded folder in the application.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 24 June 2021, 14:52

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

Do I understand it correctly you want the use the File upload control without actually uploading the file? If so you can try out the File link control. That should only record link to the file without actually uploading it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Mark,

I tried setting a domain on File link, but the domain then still required a Storage location to in_database. For me this was an indication that it would still require for a column to have a storage column.

So is this in_database Storage location obsolete, or does it still store in the database?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Confirmed with a colleague, the File link only works in the Windows GUI like a true file link. In the other GUI's the file still gets uploaded; hence the storage location.

So as long as you are using the Windows GUI, the storage location is ignored when using the File link control.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Good to know that this is an option for the Windows GUI.

Unfortunately, this particular client is using the Web GUI. Do you consider this a bug of the Web GUI, and is this currently being fixed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good to know that this is an option for the Windows GUI.

Unfortunately, this particular client is using the Web GUI. Do you consider this a bug of the Web GUI, and is this currently being fixed?

This does work as intended and is not considered a bug

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It is good to note that when using the File link control, you should use a database storage location that uses Disk; not Database

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Could this storage location also be sent to a location that can be reached by the sql server? So be used to move it from one location (from where it's been uploaded), to another location from where the sql server can access it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I suppose you could do that. When using a Disk storage location, you can find the file at the file location that is now present in your application. When adding/editing a record and uploading/linking to a file, you can then start a Process flow to move the file to a location where the database can reach it.