Solved

How does cascaded update work

• 20 April 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

At a detail reference you have the option to do some Model settings. One of them is cascading delete, which removes all detail records that are linked to the removed parent record. Set null will probably reset the link to the parent to null.

I also see that there is an option for cascaded update. I'm not familiar with cascaded update, and would like to know what it does and what to keep in mind?

I'm currently working on a trigger that copies child records when a parent is connected to another record. Concrete: I have a table A with B as details. I also have a table C with details D, which has details E.

For records of table C I want to select various A's and place them in the linked table D. But at the same time make a copy of the linked B's and place them in the linked E. Is this a situation that can benefit from cascaded update?

When removing a record from table D I will use cascaded delete to remove the linked records in E.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 20 April 2021, 10:54

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

With Cascaded update, the Primary Key (or foreign key) column values of child records will be updated with the parent record. This will ensure the children will stay with its parent, but it is not always what you would want.

See this link: https://stackoverflow.com/a/63230554