Solved

Grab breadcrumb from higher level screen

Badge

I have a situation with a many to many relationship between two tables. Based on the users navigation the breadcrum value of the higher screen should be used in combination with a task. I there an option to refer to the UI breadcrum in lower level detail screen? 

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 25 August 2022, 09:28

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Martin,

The breadcrumb is usually comprised out of the Primary key values. Could these fields help you out? 

Or else, could you elaborate on what you are trying to solve? Many to many relationships are usually not the solution; it's probably more fitting to create a table in between than combines records of Table A with Table B using the PK columns of both tables.

Badge

Hi Mark, thanks for you response. The pk is exactly what i am after in the details tab. The solution is somewhat as below. Combinations in both directions are possible. 

So from main level 101 has three options to choose, the first being 301. However other way around 301 has three options to the main level making a direct lookup impossible. 

Ideally i would like to show the pk Main screen as variable or something (?) and use in that value in the detail screen. 

Does this explanation make sense? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Martin,

The breadcrumb is built using the display column for the main and detail screens based on navigation. Meaning in the Detail screen, you would have a longer breadcrumb as you would have in the Main screen. If you would want the breadcrumb to be comprised like this, then that works:

Main > Detail

If you want the breadcrumb to be comprised like this, then that is not possible:

Detail > Main

That is due to the way the screen’s hierarchy works. Having many-to-many relationships always will result in some compromises as the GUI works with hierarchy. 

Obtaining the Primary key columns of screens will automatically work if you bind them to, for example, Task parameters. 

Is this the answer you are looking for? 😄