Solved

File upload doesn't work in universal GUI

Badge

Hello,

When I try to use the upload function in the universal GUI, it doesn't work all the time. Some uploads succeed while others do not, regardless of the file type. Initially, we thought the file size might be the issue, but we've ruled that out. All the file types we've tried are whitelisted.

One more thing: the file upload works just fine in the Windows GUI.

Does anyone know the cause of this problem?

This is the console output when the call fails
This is the console output when the call succeeds
Settings file storage location. Fields for blurred not empty model, storage location, branch name, and access key ID are all filled in but blurred

We've attempted setting a maximum file size of 100 MB or higher for the file storage location, but that hasn't resolved the issue either

icon

Best answer by Vincent Doppenberg 2 May 2024, 00:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

First off, did you check the indicium log for errors? Also 403 suggest there might a problem with accessing the file. Could it be the file is locked by someone or a process? When a file does not work does it work on a second try? 

Badge

Yes, we've checked indicium, and there are no errors in the log. The file can't be locked, and even on a second attempt, it still doesn't work.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello @Sanne Buitelaar,

The request in your first screenshot, with the 403 response, never arrived at Indicium. You can tell that this is the case by looking at the Server response header and the lack of response headers that are always added by Indicium (Content-Security-Policy, X-Content-Type-Options, X-Frame-Options, X-Xss-Protection, Server-Timing).

The 403 Forbidden response is caused by the AWS ELB load balancer that sits in front of Indicium. I'm not sure why the load balancer would give a 403 response, but many load balancers double as a Web Application Firewall (WAF) and this is also the case for the AWS ELB.

It seems very likely to me that the request was rejected due to a false positive of one of the WAF rules. You should be able to find the cause of the rejection in the WAF logs. The solution will most likely involve changing or turning off one or more of the WAF rules. You can find more - hopefully useful - information here.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hello Vincent,

The AWS ELB setting had a WAF rule named 'aws:core-rule-set:SizeRestrictions_Body'. Once this rule was removed, the upload worked just fine.

Thank you for your help!

Badge

I've ran into simular issues with Azure WAF, in the end I choose to whitelist the domain+endpoint combination (if static). That prevents disabling WAF rules for the whole internet.