Solved

Error whilst previewing Outlook

• 11 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have a screen where people can add attachments. In this case an '.msg’ file has been added. When clicking on the row, the following error comes up:

This does not happen on all computers where the application is used.

This is the screentype we have created for this part of the screen, which contains the 'Preview component’ to show the content.

The error does not show up when other files are being used, for example a .png file.

On the computers which have this problem Outlook is installed, also the preview in Windows Explorer does work:

I suspect the customer has prevented the use of some files which Thinkwise needs to preview this type of files, but I don't know what files is needs.

How can I solve this problem, of where do I need to look to find the solution?

icon

Best answer by Ricky 29 November 2023, 09:27

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Could you try the latest windows gui, this should be fixed.

Improved email preview

Windows GUI change

We have improved the preview of email messages with a .msg extension. The message did not always load properly. We have improved this by using a different component for rendering the email messages.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Great, we will give it a try!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Could you try the latest windows gui, this should be fixed.

Improved email preview

Windows GUI change

We have improved the preview of email messages with a .msg extension. The message did not always load properly. We have improved this by using a different component for rendering the email messages.

Unfortunately it still doesn't work after I upgraded their GUI to 2023.3.12

On my remote pc it is working for 95% of the msg files.
Unfortunately on the users pc all msg file previews still issue an error:

On my remote pc I get this sam error but only with 1 msg file (as far as I know).

Any advise would be appriciated :p

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Interesting issue you got there @Alban_T  you mention 2 things:

“On my remote pc it is working for 95% of the msg files.” - did you get a grasp what was wrong with the remaining 5%? I know that MSG files are not only emails, but only emails are supported - for example an Appointment MSG will result in an error trying to generate a preview.

and this one:

“Unfortunately on the users pc all msg file previews still issue an error:” - Have you tried removing outlook, reboot the pc, reinstall outlook?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Interesting issue you got there @Alban_T  you mention 2 things:

“On my remote pc it is working for 95% of the msg files.” - did you get a grasp what was wrong with the remaining 5%? I know that MSG files are not only emails, but only emails are supported - for example an Appointment MSG will result in an error trying to generate a preview.

and this one:

“Unfortunately on the users pc all msg file previews still issue an error:” - Have you tried removing outlook, reboot the pc, reinstall outlook?

On my remote pc I havent got an outlook installation so I was surprised it worked after upgrading to GUI 2023.3.12 because it didn’t with the old GUI version.

The user has outlook on her pc, originally she was the only one in het team that complained about this issue but in the past weeks all her colleagues started experiencing this issue.

I thought it was fixed because it worked for me but when I tried to demonstrate it to the user I picked a random record and I got the error. Tried again with several other records and no errors except for the one I picked at random. I investigated if it was always an email attachment from a specific user (maybe a different outlook as source of the msg) or plain text vs html but I didn’t see a pattern :(

“ I know that MSG files are not only emails, but only emails are supported - for example an Appointment MSG will result in an error trying to generate a preview. “
In this case the msg files are all emails, opening them still works which is why this issue is annoying but hasnt got the highest priority.

I'll ask their IT to try the outlook removal and reinstall and see what happens.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Alban_T, any update on this topic? 😊

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Alban_T, any update on this topic? 😊

This morning I got confirmation that ICT removed and reïnstalled Outlook and that did seem to fix the issue.
The user no longer gets an error and she does see the preview from within Thinkwise.