Solved

Emailing i-net clear reports

• 29 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

According to the documentation on the reporting service, i-net clear reports is not supported. Is it possible to build a system flow to send emails containing reports that use i-net clear reports? If not, what alternatives are there to send automated emails with reports using i-net clear reports?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 3 May 2022, 08:53

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Philip,

That should indeed be possible. The report you can simply generate using the Generate report process action. A report has a report action, and if that is set to for example “Export to PDF”, the Generate report process action will return the report data in PDF format.

This can then be used in a Write file connector to write a new PDF file to a set location. This location can then be used inside your SMTP connector to send the e-mail with the PDF file attached. Does that solve your question?

Badge

Thanks for the answer, that should solve my question. This would mean that we are looking at such a solution: 

Instead of for example: 

However, using the first solution, we should still be able to queue our emails and then send all the different emails using a system flow similar to the flow presented in the first link. Alternatively, is it still possible to use DB mail in SQL server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

However, using the first solution, we should still be able to queue our emails and then send all the different emails using a system flow similar to the flow presented in the first link.

No problem, you can use a queuing table in front of the System flow to determine the continuation of the flow. For example, when an entry that has not been sent has been found, continue the flow and start generating report, write the report to disk, then send the email with the attachment.

Alternatively, is it still possible to use DB mail in SQL server?

I do think it's possible although I do not have much experience with that. You can write the report data to your SQL Server drive/storage so SQL Server can retrieve the document. According to https://database.guide/send-emails-with-attachments-in-sql-server-t-sql/, you can add a absolute path to the file for it to be attached, e.g. "\\sql_server\data\reports\file.pdf”

The Generate report and Write file will be done by Indicium and the sending of the email by SQL Server using code (Decision node for example). Do make sure that Indicium can write to a folder/location where SQL Server can read from as SQL Server has to be able to read the file for it to send.