Question

Data being cut off in excel column DevExpress

• 4 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

HI!

I have an issue with displaying the data in a cell. We created a report in DevExpress and want to make it displayable in an excel sheet. All data is shown correctly in every cell. However in one cell the data is cut off and not all data is visible.

The cell has the options 'Can shrink', 'Can grow', 'Multiline' and 'Word Wrap' enabled.

What can I do to ensure that the entire text is visible?

Attached are printscreens of the report.

Kind regards,

Linde

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Linde,

Not sure how you exactly export the report to Excel. Is that through the Thinkwise platform with the Export to Excel report action?

I'm afraid few members here on the Community have experience with this exact issue. It could very well be that we have no control over the field height and that Excel decides to cut the height how it pleases. 

The domain used is using a varchar(max) or something else? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I'd like to add to this topic with a few questions about DevExpress within Thinkwise instead of opening a  new one:

1. Is there an internal document or guide that Thinkwise uses for DevExpress best practices?
    Something that handles more things than just the ‘standard’ stuff. This could include topics like:
    • Designing reports with multi-column layouts
    • Tricks with calculated expressions
    • Handling changes in sub-reports, especially with Indicium caching
    • Advanced tips and tricks for enhancing designs

If such a document exists, could it be shared or added as a dedicated DevExpress page in the Thinkwise documentation?

1. Which version of DevExpress is currently available to us? The Indicium product update blog mentions version 23.2.5, but when I try to find the change log on the website, I'm presented with different version options.

2. How do you navigate the DevExpress forum effectively? Many topics are outdated (some up to 15 years old), making the suggested solutions less relevant, useless even. Additionally, a lot of the C# code solutions contain inconsistencies and use outdated libraries. What's the best approach to deal with this?

Love to hear more about this.

With love, and (more than) a bit of frustration,

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I'd like to add to this topic with a few questions about DevExpress within Thinkwise instead of opening a  new one:

1. Is there an internal document or guide that Thinkwise uses for DevExpress best practic...

I’d like to see official subreport support too, since the current workaround via Indicium is not something I’d like to use since it’s horrible to maintain. 😅

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

1. Is there an internal document or guide that Thinkwise uses for DevExpress best practic...

I’d like to see official subreport support too, since the current workaround via Indicium is not something I’d like to use since it’s horrible to maintain. 😅

I actually started to play a bit with DevExpress reporting..  it's indeed a little puzzle. However you can probably work your way around sub reports using multiple detail report bands, I was able to create a report that basically consists out of 3 sub reports in this way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Linde van Dyck, did any reply here helped out?