Solved

Choose printer in task?

• 30 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

I read the topic how to create a new printer. 

That post helped me a lot to print a shipment document to a dedicated printer.

But guess what … We have another site where we need to print shipment documents on another  dedicated printer on that site.

What’s the best way do do that.. I could create another report pointing to the same report definition and the only thing that changes is the printer. Or is it possible to create a report parameter where you can let the user choose the printer and by calling the report this printer is send to the report. So can I overwrite a report property (the printer) with a report parameter value. In that case I should create a table or a domain with printers to let the user choose in a drop down. 

(And why is the field related topics filled with ‘Introduction to Machine Learning Services on SQL Server? Will the machine decide it self which printer to use, that would be awsome :-)   I can’t change that)

icon

Best answer by Erik Brink 31 January 2020, 09:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Edwin,

The SF offers a way to influence the value of the printer field. You have to create an extra report parameter and tell it to behave like the "printer” combo. It is not necessary to define domain elements or something. The datatype of the domain of the report parameter should be of ‘VarChar’ representing the printer name. The GUI will build up the control for you.

You can use this report parameter to place it somewhere between the other parameters, give it your own translation(label) and put values in it by the "Default value” field or you can use the default SP to do it.

Is this the solution you are looking for?

Regards, Erik

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi Erik, thanks a lot. This works! I was a little confused about the ID domain in your example because all our ID’s are all identity’s (numeric and auto-increase) but I can give the printer parameter name just a varchar domain type. 

Thanks a lot, question solved

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Sorry, I just picked a random report parameter to get the screenshot from. You're completely right! I updated my first answer.