Solved

Cannot seem to use Execute As option in procedure

• 22 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello,

In our application I can let a user execute a Function with the Execute As option set to ‘sa’, but can't seem to do the same with a procedure. It gives the following error when executing:

Error message when executing

Subroutine options Settings in procedure

Seeing as I can execute a function as ‘sa’ just fine, user ‘sa’ must be available to me. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

For some context, I want my user to be able to use the results of xp_dirtree, but don't want to give him the rights of sysadmin. I need this to be a procedure since I can't use a temporary table in a function and I need to select rows from the output of xp_dirtree. 

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Anne Buit 23 February 2022, 08:53

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

‘sa’ is probably not a database user but a server login. When using execute as, you have to specify a database user. You probably will need to execute as ‘dbo’.

Note that this approach is a bit dangerous, security-wise. Retrieving the file names some other way would be recommended. To help with this, list folder as a process action is planned for 2022.2, a more elegant way to read the contents of a directory on disk.

DBO does work, you're right. Thanks. Glad to see the list folder process action will be available in june, I'll be sure to rebuild my solution then.