Solved

Best practice on rolling back an upgrade gone wrong.

• 23 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16
  • Thinkwise Local Partner Brasil
  • 391 replies

When you make alterations to the model, especially the data part that results in an upgrade script. What are the best practices when someone create something that is not accepted by the database. In this case the you can choose to ignore and go on or to abort. To not loose data it's best to go for the abort scenario. But then you get stuck with all the renamed tables and all or partially the new tables already. 

When you fix the problem, there seems to be no easy way to rerun the upgrade script because with every existing you get an error..  so 130 tables renamed and 130 tables new = 260 messages.. 

• Can there be an option to just ignore the messages? 
  • Or can there be an option to roll back the situation by deleting the new tables and renaming the backups back to its original name? 

Now I just 'hack' my way through it via SMSS, but perhaps the SF can offer something more elegant. 

icon

Best answer by Freddy 23 March 2022, 12:30

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

If 130 tables are renamed your quickest bet would either be to create a script to reset the tables to their original names. Or just restore a backup. If a few tables are modified then you can just rename them by hand. I agree that there could be a more delegate solution for this problem. If you create an idea for this, you got my vote. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@Erwin Ekkel you can give your vote 😀