Solved

Azure Managed Identity for IAM/Indicium

• 8 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

I’m trying to use Azure Managed Identity, because I don’t want to have usernames and password in the appsettings.json on the webapplication server in Azure.

Therefor I made a test configuration, but it doesn’t work. Can you help me?

The configuration i have is:

• An IAM database in a SQL Managed Instance (version 2020.1)
  • A WebApp (Indicium) (version 2020.1.6)

The instruction from Microsoft which i was following is: https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/azure/active-directory/managed-identities-azure-resources/tutorial-windows-vm-access-sql

I made a System assigned identity on my App Service (azzapp-acto-d-nieuw-evo-Indicium-001)

I created a contained user on my SQL database (acto_d_nieuw_evo_iam) and gave it all rights

• CREATE USER [azzapp-acto-d-nieuw-evo-Indicium-001] FROM EXTERNAL PROVIDER
  • ALTER ROLE [db_owner] ADD MEMBER [azzapp-acto-d-nieuw-evo-Indicium-001]

The content of the appsetttings.json is:

{

"Logging": {

"IncludeScopes": false,

"LogLevel": {

"Default": "Information",

"System": "Information",

"Microsoft": "Warning",

"Indicium": "Debug"

}

},

"MetaSourceConnection": {

"Server": "sqlmi-nonp-001.database.windows.net",

"Database": "acto_d_nieuw_evo_iam",

"PoolUserName": "<secret>",

"PoolPassword": "<secret>"

}

}

Next I fired the url of the Webapp: https://azzapp-acto-d-nieuw-evo-indicium-001.azurewebsites.net

I get the correct message of indicium:

Indicium [Basic] is running!

Version: 2020.1

Build: 6

Next I changed the content of the appsettings.json to

{

"Logging": {

"IncludeScopes": false,

"LogLevel": {

"Default": "Information",

"System": "Information",

"Microsoft": "Warning",

"Indicium": "Debug"

}

},

"MetaSourceConnection": {

"Server": "sqlmi-nonp-001.database.windows.net",

"Database": "acto_d_nieuw_evo_iam"

}

}

I stopped the Webapp: azzapp-acto-d-nieuw-evo-Indicium-001

I started the Webapp: azzapp-acto-d-nieuw-evo-Indicium-001

Next I fired the url of the Webapp: https://azzapp-acto-d-nieuw-evo-indicium-001.azurewebsites.net

Now I received an error of indicium:

An error occurred while starting the application.

.NET Framework 4.7.3620.0 X64 v4.0.0.0    |   Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting version 2.1.0-rtm-30799    |    Microsoft Windows 10.0.14393    |   Need help?

The content of indicium logfile tells:

2020-07-08T09:59:29.1387626+00:00  [ftl] Application startup exception (6c57a5ba)

System.Exception: Invalid MetaSourceConnection configuration. Please check the configuration of the server, database and pool user. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Windows logins are not supported in this version of SQL Server.

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling, SqlAuthenticationProviderManager sqlAuthProviderManager)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

icon

Best answer by Vincent Doppenberg 9 July 2020, 11:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Eric,

Indicium currently cannot use Azure Managed Identity access tokens to the connect to a database. Since Windows logins are not supported by Azure Sql Databases, I'm afraid that the only solution at this time is to enter a username and password in the appsettings. Please submit an idea to support Azure Managed Identity if you would like to see this feature in the future.

Badge +9

See https://community.thinkwisesoftware.com/ideas-18/support-for-managed-identity-azure-in-indicium-1298 for the idea

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My colleague at Thinkwise found out you can use the Application Settings of the Azure WebApp where Indicium Universal is installed. This way the appsettings.json does not need to have any credentials stored in plaintext.

See here for a complete explanation: 

This can be used as an alternative Azure Managed Identity.