Question

Automatic row selection in Universal

• 29 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to disable the ‘auto selection’ of a row in Universal. This in part with auto-edit/save enabled can lead to wrongful data entries by accident without even noticing (fat finger mistakes).

In the Windows GUI this behavior already exists. Even if auto-edit is enabled the user has to knowingly click on a row to ‘activate’ it for auto-editing. 

I've looked into the available extender properties but to no avail. 

Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

With auto-edit enabled this automatic selection also seems drastically lower performance/speed of the UI🤔

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Do you mean selection of the text when entering an editor?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@rbiram / @Marius Korff, Did you manage to resolve it or does it still persist?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Still persists, I'll make sure to record a video this week!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @rbiram,

If you still require support, can you please provide an update to this topic? Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Didn't manage to record a video, but the problem occurs in the Universal GUI with a grid that has auto-edit enabled. The focus is immediately on the first editable field in the grid which can cause data entry typo's if auto-save is enabled as well. 

But what's even more problematic in my eyes is the performance hit a screen with multiple auto-edit grids endures because of the ‘automatic selection’ of said rows. 

We've noticed that the focus in the Windows GUI, in the same auto-edit grid screen, is placed on the combined filter if it's available. This ensures that accidental editing of a row is not possible. A user has to knowingly select the row that needs to be edited.

What's the reason for the focus difference in both GUI's? Maybe it's possible to have a table (subject) specific setting in which you can specify where the focus should be.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@rbiram We will adress the focus issue. We agree that the focus should not be drawn when opening the screen. What the perfomance is concerned, unfortunally that is not caused by the focus, but by the default edit mode, that stages the records for editing basically on entry and tries to set the focus. So focus is a consequence of edit mode not the other way around. 

We are currently in the process of rethinking the way default edit mode works. Both issues will be planned in the near future, but refactoring the default edit mode might take a little longer.

How bad is your performance? The issue can be enhanced for the worst by other things. We agree that the staging the records costs some perfomance, but it should not be very noticable.