Solved

Accent insensitive search

• 5 October 2021
  • 3 replies

When I use the combined filter (search) functionality to filter a list of items, I would like to have the option to use an accent insensitive search. For example, when I want to find all items that contain the word “Citroën”, I want to be able to find those items by searching with the term “citroen”. Is there any way to enable this using the SF currently, and, if so, where do I find it? I would expect to find it in the subjects → data → search detail tab.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 5 October 2021, 18:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Dries,

You can use the Extended property IgnoreDiacritics for this, and giving the value 'Yes’. This does come with a little note, as the searchable field has to be a NVARCHAR field.

Whether the GUI should ignore diacritics when using the combined filter. Note that this setting is only supported for NVARCHAR (DB2: VARGRAPHIC, Oracle: NVARCHAR2) columns.

From: Extended properties · Thinkwise Docs (thinkwisesoftware.com)

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for the reply. The IgnoreDiacritics property was already set to Yes, and the reason for the sensitivity to diacritics was that the field was, as you stated, a VARCHAR field. Interestingly, in the Subjects > Data > Filter tab, the box “In combined filter” was checked for this field; however, after changing the datatype to NVARCHAR in the data model, this field became unchecked, which had us puzzled for a while, because we did not expect this to happen. Is this intended behaviour, or would you like me to report this as a bug?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Dries,

It depends how you changed the datatype. If you assigned a new domain to the Column, that will trigger a default procedure that (re)sets the "In combined filter” based on the value set in the Domain:

Default for this Domain - Not included in combined filter

If you changed the data type inside the Domain, then it shouldn't affect the value set in Subjects > Filter.