UI/UX Design

Universal Design: Filtering in the Pivot Table

Related products: UI/UX
Universal Design: Filtering in the Pivot Table

We have a challenge for you!

We are in the midst of designing the Universal GUI version of filtering within the Pivot Table. 
We've made a prototype to let you experience the Universal GUI version of this feature and we would like to hear your opinion.

Please leave your comments in the comment section below.

You will see:

• A new expandable/collapsable panel, where the user can find the Pivot Table Editor and Pivot Table Filter.
  • Filter Dimension only as a top row drop zone for Dimension Values
  • A new Filter Tab in the expandable/collapsable component to see all used Dimension Values

We give you 3 assignments to go through this prototype:

1. Use Dimension Value ‘Invoice status’ for the Filter Dimension (this prototype doesn't support Drag and Drop, clicking on the element is enough).
  2. Set the filter of ‘Invoice Status’ to only ‘Paid’ (clicking on any checkbox will directly set this filter correctly for this prototype) 
    Set the filter of ‘Sub project’ to ExcludeBraggs apts’ from the data 
  3. Reset ‘Sub project’ with the RESET button.
    Set filter ‘Invoice status’ so that all checkboxes are checked (again, clicking one checkbox in this prototype activates them all again)
    Set ‘Sub project’ to Include the value ‘Boardwalk center’ in the data

Click here to open the Prototype.

Use password ‘pivot filter’ to access the design.
Use ‘R’ to restart from the beginning of the prototype if you are stuck.

Looks great, and I'm curious when we can test it in real life.

What I do notice is that you can only see the values of include/exclude when you click the include/exclude button, making it impossible to see at a glance which records are active and which are not.

I like the new filter, it uses way less space than, for example, a filterform 😄
If this design makes it to release, I’d love to be able to set the default opened menu to either:

• Editor
  • Filter

Also I’d like to be able set if the panel should be automatically expanded yes/no.

Will the columns available for filtering be linked to the filter settings of the subject (like with the filterform)?

The collapsible setting/filters are great. It would be even better if it encapsulates the cube/graph.. so you can change the settings while looking at the graph as well. 

Nice! 

The ability to collapse and expand the editor panel is already a big improvement.

There is one thing that I miss and that is the ability to set and save the settings of the user, and dynamically change settings like the title in graphs. ( From the application database ). 

We have a lot of different measures, which can be dynamically configured. I’m about to release a functionality in which the user can select the measures to show, and make different combinations for different graphs. I made the name of the measure a dimension, that way I can show any combination of measures a user chooses, but at this moment it is only possible to statically assign the dimensions.

I would like to be able to retrieve and set the settings the user does in the graph / grid as a json object. That would make this a “complete” solution. Without this I can only make a static collection of predefined starting points for the user..

The collapsible setting/filters are great. It would be even better if it encapsulates the cube/graph.. so you can change the settings while looking at the graph as well. 

This will be the intended solution, that is why the Filter dimension is placed at the top.

There is one thing that I miss and that is the ability to set and save the settings of the user, and dynamically change settings like the title in graphs. ( From the application database ). 

We have a lot of different measures, which can be dynamically configured. I’m about to release a functionality in which the user can select the measures to show, and make different combinations for different graphs. I made the name of the measure a dimension, that way I can show any combination of measures a user chooses, but at this moment it is only possible to statically assign the dimensions.

I would like to be able to retrieve and set the settings the user does in the graph / grid as a json object. That would make this a “complete” solution. Without this I can only make a static collection of predefined starting points for the user..

This has not become a part of this design. Our assignment for this design was to rebuild the filter options of the Windows GUI for the Universal GUI.

Due to time restrictions, this idea can not become part of this design. 

This is a very intriguing idea though, I couldn't find it under the ‘Ideas’ section, is that correct? 
Your idea to me seems more of a technical request as a starting point, which needs more minds to wrap their heads around to give full credit to this concept. 
Please submit your idea in the ‘Ideas’ section! This gives others the chance to vote for your idea to potentially introduce it in our platform. 

I like the new filter, it uses way less space than, for example, a filterform 😄
If this design makes it to release, I’d love to be able to set the default opened menu to either:

• Editor
  • Filter

Also I’d like to be able set if the panel should be automatically expanded yes/no.

Will the columns available for filtering be linked to the filter settings of the subject (like with the filterform)?

We are inclined to do so on the default settings, yes.
Could you elaborate what you mean with ‘automatic expanding’ vs the default expanded option?

Regarding the linked filter settings for the subject: this is a technical question for which I will have to get back to you at a later point.