WinGUI - allow usage of application while having text box open

Related products: Windows GUI

Hi all,

I grow terribly frustrated at times that I have to copy the text I'm editing to a notepad or RTF-enabled text editor while busy in a GUI, because the GUI is locked while having a popup open.

Recognizable? I'd love to be able to look up something in an application _while_ I'm editing some text _in that same application_.

More widely allowing to use the GUI while a popup is popped up or under would be preferably, of course, but the application-blocking text boxes are my pet peeve.

Hi Boudewijn,

We discussed this internally with the Windows, Web and Universal teams and have decided that this is indeed something that is less desirable, but implementing this idea would raise more issues regarding the use of the application. 

Beneficially, the Universal GUI allows users to open multiple tabs which you can utilized to navigate the application on one tab while having a pop-up open on another screen. So it has a decent workaround for that GUI. For the Web GUI, it is not an option as users cannot be logged in more than once. For the Windows GUI, implementing this idea would be a huge change in the way the GUI works in the background. At the current stage, this will not be feasible and therefore not implemented. I will close the idea.

Updated idea statusNewClosed