We need to be able to open a document from a process flow, not as a new screen, but as a pop up screen.

Related products: Universal GUI

We need to be able to open a document from a process flow, not as a new screen, but as a pop up screen.

Updated idea status NewOpen

The same is possible on Windows GUI, I assume this will be implemented as part of alignment of the functionalities in Windows/Web GUI to Universal GUI?

@mperrott I'm sure they will research the possibilities regarding (Open document) pop-up screens. We already have look-ups and having a document as pop-up screen looks quite similar to me. 

@Spyros.Neofytou For what purpose do you need pop-up screens right now? Is it something you can work around for now?

Updated idea status OpenNeeds feedback

Hi Mark,

As the option to return back to the previous page that you originated is not there yet in Universal, and in order not to have the page taking real estate on screen, we want to have these pages as popup, so that we avoid going through the menu to visit our originating page. Hope the below makes sense.

*Note we have the view Open documents disabled so we cannot visit the already opened page.

Currently:

Page 1 → Pressing a button redirects to page 2 → going back to page 1 means → go to menu → find and open page 1

Resolution:

Page 1 → Pressing a button Popup screen of page 2 → going back means only closing the popup.

From user experience less steps the better :slight_smile:

@Mark Jongeling please note mperrott and me work for the same organization and it is a feature we need and will be using quite often for further implementations. We can find workarounds but as mentioned before “From user experience less steps the better” :slight_smile:

Updated idea status Needs feedbackOpen
OpenPlanned

PlannedNext release

This is implemented and will be available in the 2023.2.12.0 release of the Universal GUI.
The release notes will contain the details. Note, the release of next monday is the .11 release and won't contain this feature.

Great, looking forward to this feature!

Next releaseCompleted

@Dick van den Brink these Release Notes state that a new tab is opened with using Open Document as Floating document, but this Idea explicitly asks for opening a Document as Pop-up window (I imagined this to be similar to Lookup pop-up windows) and not as new window. Then how is this Idea solved?

And given this remark:

The process flow does not continue in the floating window.

What does this way of implementing the Open Document as Floating document add compared to the also existing Open link process action?

Hi Arie,

Later in this topic mperrott (which works for the same company) as Spyros mentions:

The same is possible on Windows GUI, I assume this will be implemented as part of alignment of the functionalities in Windows/Web GUI to Universal GUI?

The Windows GUI also opens it as a floating document (not a blocking popup).

That is why we interpreted this as the `Open as floating document` parameter. If this is not the case for Spyros or mperrot we would like to know.

About your question about why not use `Open link`. If you just would use the Open link, you would also get the menu on the left side. With this input parameter, the menu will be hidden (same as Windows).

Also, when this request was created, we didn’t have `Open link` and we want feature parity between Universal and the Windows GUI - so we need to implement missing input parameters like this one.

@mperrott Are you happy with this implementation of Open document as floating document or would you prefer to have it open as a Pop-up screen within the same browser tab?

I believe it would be nice if we could use this Open document - floating document as part of a Process Flow in which we could then also perform Edit row > Close document to support the User in quickly making an adjustment in a linked Subject, without being navigated away from what he was working on.