Selective synchronisation of actions to IAM

Related products: Software Factory

When a project version is still under development, but is also being used on a production environment, it is sometimes needed to do small table rights adjustments or prefilter query changes.

As in now, the whole action list will be executed. While working in a development project with multiple team members, it can happen that a team member for example adds a task parameter or report parameter. These new adjustments will be synchronized to IAM while still under development, but instead it would be safer to just synchronize the actions (i.e. i_sync_table_rights) you have adjusted yourself. 

This will especially prevent unwanted errors (i.e. missing parameter messages) on production environment and interruptions with the end users.

Hi Jochem,

This idea is partly already planned for the next version of the Software Factory, see: 

To only sync individual items like prefilters, there is a slight chance that the model in IAM becomes incorrect; also something Indicium doesn't like as it will give an immediate error. So I do understand the potential value, but it's also risky. 

Hi Jochem,

We discussed this idea internally, and we agree with Mark. 

We can quite easily imagine someone modifying a table name and only synchronising this table to IAM. If this person does not take into account that you also have to synchronise your columns, references, table variants etc. again, the model will become incorrect.

So even though we understand where you are coming from, we unfortunately think this objection outweighs your original business case.

Updated idea status → Declined