Possibility to select no rows in a treelist

Related products: Windows GUI

Good day,

We would like to have a possibility exists to select no row in a treelist (webGUI)

Explanation:

Right now, when a user opens a screen, the first row is selected by default.

This is not always desirable for our customers. Let me explain this in a use case:

Project structure: a tree list

The + button at the left side creates a new project one level beneath of the project that is currently selected.

However, because the first row is selected by default, it is never possible for customers to create a project on the same level as the project that is currently selected. 

Kind regards,

Ronald

Hi Ronald,

The user interfaces are designed to always have a selected row when data is available, so this would be quite a challenge. Is it an option to provide separate tasks for adding children and siblings of the selected node?

Updated idea status NewNeeds feedback

Good morning,

Thank you for your response. At first sight your suggestion sounds like a proper solution to us.

However, I think I need to elaborate a bit more on the use case.

At this moment we are trying to improve our CTA buttons. This also implies the creation of a '’project'’. Therefore, we would like to achieve this (or maybe even a better alternative):

What we want to achieve

As you may have noticed, there is merely one button in the picture. This is our first CTA button in the software. A user has to create a project, otherwise not so much is possible for him/her. This is also why we only want one button over here. We would like the design to be clear and concise. Two button is of course an alternative, but it is not preferable in this case.

To us it is preferable that this one button allows a user to create siblings and children, depending on the conext.

Is a project or a child project selected? → Then another child (one level below the selected one) is created.

Is nothing selected? → Then a project is created on the highest level. Reason: having to click on another project before adding a project on the same (highest) level is not really userfriendly. This is why we would like to enable the user to create a project on the highest level when nothing is selected.

I hope this has clarified my use case better.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Updated idea status Needs feedbackOpen

Unfortunately, this idea has not received enough votes. Because we want to keep the focus on ideas that are in high demand, we are closing this idea.

OpenClosed