Make code review (not) mandatory per model or branch

Related products: Software Factory

Code review being mandatory is a global SF setting right now.

sf_config

For some models, you don’t want to mandatory code review. For instance if you have a model where only one developer works on.

Alternatively, make an overwrite setting per model/branch that overrules the default setting in sf_config.

NewOpen

Hey @Dave Bieleveld Starcode, I strongly disagree. Especially when one developer is working on a model you should have code review done. We’ve all had it happen that you go on a specific thought-train, down into a rabbit hole to go for a specific solution, only for a colleague to point you at some flaws you built along the way.

I think code review is one of the ways to massively improve the quality of work as well as providing learning opportunities for both reviewer and the developer that has worked on this model.

If you, for some reason are the only one able to work on the model and have no colleagues available, I think it would be wise to reach out and ‘outsource’ the code review portion of the work.

@Robert Jan de Nie 

I recognize your argument and agree to a degree. To counter:

1. If you exhaust this argument, the setting in sf_config is redundant too
  2. Sometimes you don’t have the means (time/planning, capacity or cost wise) for an extra set of eyes and the depreciation of quality is a calculated decision. Having no option, you enforce to employ extra means.

I’d rather have either code review selectively per model/branch, or no option at all in case the Software Factory wants to enforce review capacity.

Hey @Dave Bieleveld Starcode, I agree with your first statement. Will create an idea to remove that setting in the configuration.

Your second statement I do not agree with. I think quality is the one item you cannot scrimp on. You are already a lot faster using the software factory and when looking at total cost of ownership, lack of quality is really expensive.

I would still like the option in a Model or Branch for the projects that are not actual products, Like an experimental branch or just a playground. It could help that in those situations there is no need for that validation to run and prevent causing an expected “Error”.

I’ve made a new idea :)