Grouping icons in icon library

Related products: Software Factory

The icon library in Software Factory is a bit cluttered at the moment, and it is not easy to structure which icons should be available for which use. In order to provide a consistent user experience, it could be very nice if we could group icons, and based on this, display a group of icons in the places where we can use them. For example, one grouping could be material-filled, material-outlined and color. Another grouping could be tasks, prefilters, subjects, form groups, etc. Based on configuration (and prefilters) we can then influence at which places which icons could be made available. Prefilters can of course always be turned off if you really want to deviate for a good reason. 

Hey Bram,

Great idea, I do think that could help. I do want to say the Icon overview detail can help finding a particular icon quicker.

NewOpen

Hi Mark, indeed I think the icon overview is also a nicer overview, but the emphasis of the idea is on the fact that when developing with a large group of developers, for example, it becomes less prone to errors in choosing the wrong icon(s) in the different places. This way you have more control over which icons become available at which lookups and it is less likely that icons are chosen that, for example, do not meet the agreed development guidelines.

We implemented this idea and will come available in 2024.2 😄 

Icons can now be grouped in self-defined icon groups. Groups will be sorted on the given sequence number and must be given a description. This description is then shown in the Icon grid as grouping header. Similar to Table task and Table report groups, Icon groups can be created via the look-up available in the Form.

Icon groups in Icon screen

OpenNext release