Block branch from accidentally mutating

Related products: Software Factory

Recently we started working with the different branches for development, release and main. It is desirable that in principle (with the exception of hot fixes) all developments are carried out in the development branch.

Currently it is not possible to protect a branch against "accidental" mutating. Naturally, the developer should pay attention to which branch he makes adjustments in, but a mistake is easily made. And this means rolling back that branch and re-entering the work or a special merge action.
Of course we can introduce the "pastry scheme" for those who accidentally do this. But it would be more useful if we could secure the branch, for example by showing a notification when the branch is opened.

Is it possible to make such a adjustable warning for branches?

Hi Marc,

There are a couple options I can think of in the moment. The most easy would be indeed a message when opening any menu item that the branch you are working in is a branch that should not be mutated. We used to have this when opening a Production project version but was lost due to the concept changing. Is this a suitable option?

A more impactful and less desirable solution is having context and layout logic on every editable screen in the Software Factory simply preventing the execution of any task and disallowing Add/Edit/Delete; but the downside is that you cannot change anything when it is needed.

We are open to hearing everyones suggestion 😄

New→Needs feedback

Hello Mark

The most ideal solution would be what you propose as the 2nd option.
But to avoid the "I wasn't paying attention and now I have to do everything again" mistakes, I think option 1 (showing a warning) is also a good step.

Needs feedback→Open

The 2nd option would be the most formal and complete approach. (Aside using guard triggers on the sf db as the ultimate protection). When it can be implemented with a dynamical control procedure, it might be less work then it looks like possibly making it more desirable.