"Variant" Reports, a different usecase.

Related products: Software Factory

Is it possible to implement “Variant” reports? In the sense that you’d create a variant of a report and physically upload a different file. This file would be expected to have the same parameters, but usually a different layout or extra fields.

Our use case is this,
The TW Application is multi-tenant, some of our tenants have the same kinds of reports, let’s say  warehousing labels. It can be assumed that we  functionally also use the same parameters for these reports, but both tenants want a different kind of layout.

At the moment ( as far as I can tell) the only way to achieve this right now is to create separate reports in the “report” table. I think it’d be a nice addition the the report variants feature in Software factory, to be able to upload different reports. Alternate suggestions are also welcome of course.

We have solved this previously by adding both layouts to the DevExpress report. We can choose between the layouts by using a variable / report parameter. Depending on the value we suppress the elements that are not needed within the report.

Not very suitable in case you have many different layouts, but for 2 or three this might help you.

We have solved this previously by adding both layouts to the DevExpress report. We can choose between the layouts by using a variable / report parameter. Depending on the value we suppress the elements that are not needed within the report.

Not very suitable in case you have many different layouts, but for 2 or three this might help you.

Thanks for giving us an alternative workaround for now, we’ll start with this. 

It would still be nice to get this as a platform feature, since doing it this way isn’t a proper solution.

Hi Selby, 

What you already can do is upload all variants of your client's report in the end product, and make use of Report parameter properties to link to different Reports based on the File path for example. More on it here: https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/docs/sf/reports#report-parameters

When using the File path property, the value inside it will determine the Report that is used. Therefore all your customers can have their own Report uploaded in their part of the end product, and the model only containing a single report and its configuration.

Would that suffice?

NewNeeds feedback

Hi Mark, 

Selby has left the building, so i’m taking over on this. I’m not sure what you mean. 
Yes, we can pass the the customers name in a parameter, but how can I set this in report in the end product for that specific customer? 

It might suffice, but not sure since i’m not following completely… 
Can you explain a bit more? 

Hi @Blommetje,

You can use variables inside the Report file itself to present the data. The way you implement this and transfer the data from your end product into the Report file data generation is up to you of course.

Your customers can upload their own Report file to the database for use and use a variable inside it, like “@customer_name”, to map their customer name to the variable. Even more fancy could be utilizing HTML blocks inside reports and designing parts of the report inside your end product.

@Blommetje, did my reply help out?

@Mark Jongeling 
I need to look into this again. Will check next week, when there is more time. 

It’s still relevant, so i’d like to have the best solution of course. 

Any update @Blommetje😄

Needs feedbackClosed