Grid/Cardlist (pre)filter change should always select first Row

Related products: Universal GUI

After using Filter / Prefilter / Quick Filter / Clear Filter on a Grid or Cardlist, the GUIs will remember the selected Row and navigate to that specific Row after the filter action has been performed. To me this has 2 important disadvantages:

• It is very confusing, especially when Pagination is used: the GUI could switch from page 1 first row to page xxx without this being very clear to the end user
  • It is bad for performance, in addition to the queries to retrieve the nr of pages and the list of records for the selected page it also runs a query to select the previously selected Row

I haven't been able to think of a use case where I would prefer the above behavior (if anyone could give me good examples we might have to change this Idea to introducing an option in which we could set this ourselves in Subject settings). Instead, whenever I perform filter-related actions I am actively looking for another record than the Row I have selected at that very moment.

Therefore, this Idea is raised to request the following change: always select the first Row (of the first Page) after a filter action on Grid or Cardlist.

@Arie V We will discuss this, but I'm not sure  this never what you'd want is true. When using Quick filter and Clear filter, I would not like it if I lost the record I was on.

@Sebastiaan Meijerink I initially raised this as a TCP and it was concluded internally that indeed you guys were not convinced about this change, therefore asking me to put it up for discussion and votes at the Community.

Could you clarify why you would not like to lose the selected Row when using Quick filter or Clear filter by giving examples?

Well for example using quick filter to locate a simulair row. I would like to find other ideas of the same company. Just to reference. You would like to keep the current row selected.

Or find a simulair row and after finding this row selecting it and clearing the filter. You would like to keep this row selected. You could also do this by using the combined/search filter and deliberatly searching for something that looks like this row.

Using quickfilter on a row while there is alread a quickfilter present (adding a filter). 

Clearing just one of the filters when you have more than 1 quickfilter on the row.

Changing the prefilter to something that still includes this row might even throw the user off by feeling this row is not in this prefilter if it would indeed not be on the first page.

You state that ‘the GUI could switch from page 1 first row to page xxx without this being very clear to the end user’, when actually adding filters this would not happen since the amount of pages would become more narrow. It could happen when changing prefilters or clearing the filter, but we really feel that not keeping the record in sight is more confusing in that case.

So I think it might be more usefull that we reverse this. Could you clarify when you feel this is confusing by giving examples?

Updated idea statusNewNeeds feedback

@Arie V, Could you provide feedback on Sebastiaan's reply?

Needs feedbackDeclined

We have declined this idea as we do not share the vision of the first row being selected after for example switching prefilters