A more user-friendly version of cubes

Related products: Software Factory UX

Can we please get a more user friendly version of cubes? Setting up a simple graph is more complicated than it should be. I feel like we could greatly benefit from having the UI/UX team having a look at cubes and think of a more refined way of creating cubes and graphs. 

Maybe adding a wizard to guide you through the creation process would be very helpful. 

+1 

Hi Erwin,

We do offer the Create cube task to quickly turn a table/view into a functioning Cube/Chart, does that task suffice? What parts are the most challenging?

In the (hopefully) near future we intend to have a WYSIWYG GUI editor so you can set-up the cube from the end poruct and write the configuration back to the Software Factory. Would that solve this idea?

NewNeeds feedback

Things I think could be improved: 

The automatic mapping of the time designations is faulty. Sometimes weeks get mapped to months or days to weeks. 
The cube replaces the table instead of creating a seperate entity. 
The naming of the cube sections (rows etc) do not match names in the gui. 
Somehow you can only get a horizontal grouping if you add a vertical axis. 
The relationship between the cube view and the cube itself is very confusing.
There is no preview in the sf so a lot of switching between sf/gui is involved. 
There seems to be a lot of bugs in cube. Setting a column to show in data, and somehow it will end up in filters for example. 

Creating a simple chart that would take me 1 minute in excel can quickly take up to an hour to create in a cube.

Creating the cube/graph from the front end would help but it would still need you to set up the totals, the views, the labels etc. So I think it would not be the end all but more a start to a cube 2.0. So for now I would vote to leave this idea intact to see if there are more developers struggling with the cube/graphs.   

Needs feedbackOpen