Or prefilters

Related products: Software Factory Windows GUI Indicium Service Tier

Selecting multiple prefilters now always leads to: where [prefilter 1 query] AND [prefilter 2 query]. I would also very much like to have the possibility to make OR prefilters.

Not only between columns (colour = red OR shape = square) but also within columns (colour = red OR colour = blue OR shape = square).

I want this feature for many years. I see some security challenges, but when these can be solved, it would be great.
I second that Harm! Also wanted this feature already for 3 years. Hope it gets implemented in a safe way.
I think making such a thing safe is not something that can be enforced trough the Software Factory.

You could require locked prefilters to be always true and then, on top of that, have one or multiple 'or-prefilters'. It would generate a query like this:

code:
select some_values
from some_table t1
where locked_prefilter = 'true'
and ( first_or_prefilter = 'true'
or second_or_prefilter = 'true'
);

But it is the responsibility of the developer to make sure that the 'or-prefilters' will not result in situations that show too much data.
As far as security goes, I agree with Robert Jan's solution that locked/hidden prefilters should always be applied to the query and can only be combined with an AND-operator.

Another challenge is how to indicate that multiple active prefilters need to be combined with an OR- or AND-operator. Should this be determined by the user? For instance by being able to group multiple non-locked prefilters as 'or-prefilters'. Or should 'or-prefilters' always be predetermined, logical groups? In which case we could simply add an 'operator' field to prefilter groups in the SF.
I think AND/OR concepts are hard enough for a user, so I'd suggest have them 'fixed' in a predetermined group.

Could we combine this with a 'mandatory' property for a prefilter-group? Always have at least one prefilter from within a group active?
I totally support this idea. Most of the Prefilters I set up based on a Query are required due to lack of the support of an OR function.
Could we combine this with a 'mandatory' property for a prefilter-group? Always have at least one prefilter from within a group active?

Mandatory exclusive prefilter groups will be available in 2019.2. The release should be available for download next week.

As far as security goes, I agree with Robert Jan's solution that locked/hidden prefilters should always be applied to the query and can only be combined with an AND-operator.

Vincent Doppenberg wrote:

Also agreed.

I think AND/OR concepts are hard enough for a user, so I'd suggest have them 'fixed' in a predetermined group.

Robert Jan de Nie wrote:

I can imagine having them ‘fixed’ would be the easiest option to implement. I agree with Robert Jan on this.

On the backlogPlanned

PlannedWorking on it!

In the GUI we want users to filter multiple sales orders (not ‘between’ but separated different sales orders). In our old ERP this is easily done by choosing ‘in’ as our filter. In the Thinkwise GUI there are a lot of options we never use in the standard filter but we really miss this ‘in’ filter where we can fill in those order numbers. A normal sql statement would then do ‘where sales_order in (123, 567, 999, etc). I am not sure if the idea where you are working on, does also make this possible? Otherwise: should I post this as a new idea?

Hi @Hugo 

This idea focusses on having the ability to have AND prefilter groups and now also OR prefilter groups. This has effect on how the prefilters will be applied in the GUI.

The IN filtering, you could use OR prefilters for that too, but for now you can use Excel style filtering for that. Feel free to create a new idea for this. Please add the use case and how you would like to see it work in the GUI.

Hi @Mark Jongeling 
Thank for your reply! I have just created a new idea: 

Working on it!Next release

Next releaseCompleted