Combine prefilter and tasks

Related products: Software Factory Windows GUI

Lets say I have a prefilter for all issues with status 65. I'd think it would be a nice addition if I could configure a drag 'n drop task so that if I drag an issue to the prefilter, the status gets updated to 65.

I don't know if that makes sense, but a coworker and I talked about it and I figured it was a good idea.
It certainly is an original idea!

Any suggestions on how to indicate to the user that it is possible to drag rows on the prefilter (or the other way around)? And what to do if the prefilter contains ambiguous conditions, for example price > 100 or status in (1, 2, 3) ?

Maybe it would be better to have some sort of drop areas or tiles onto which you can drag rows to execute a task.
Any suggestions on how to indicate to the user that it is possible to drag rows on the prefilter (or the other way around)? And what to do if the prefilter contains ambiguous conditions, for example price > 100 or status in (1, 2, 3) ?

This could be implemented by defining a procedure or task and connecting it to the prefilter. The prefilter would get an extra field 'drag/drop-task'. This would be the task that is executed.
As much as I like the idea, I'm not entirely convinced that a UI element that acts as a button or a tile could also be a drag-drop target. The only example I can think of is dragging a file onto the Windows task bar - but as far as I know this pops up the application where you can then actually drop the file.

An alternative UI effect which accomplishes something similar would be to have a grid (or tree) grouped by issue status, in which you can drag an issue to another group, which then internally attempts to put the issue in edit mode, fills in the value of the target group, saves it, and refreshes both source and target groups.

With this in mind, what are your thoughts about this combination of ideas:

1) When adding a new row, automatically fill in values from active prefilters of the form "is equal to constant value".

2) Allow drag-drop of rows between groups within grids and trees, which attempts to edit values so the dropped rows would indeed be shown in their destination group.

3) When rows are being dragged onto a prefilter button, after a short delay the prefilter is activated. Now the dragged rows can be dropped onto the set with the activated prefilter.

4) Dropping rows onto a set with an active prefilter has the same effect dropping rows on another grid or tree group.

This fits in with the existing UI/UX, enriches it considerably, and would add at most one or two new model settings to the SF. There's also potential to extend this kind of feature to tiles, menu items, tasks, reports, etcetera.

Maybe it would be better to have some sort of drop areas or tiles onto which you can drag rows to execute a task.
Maybe make it possible to assign a task control procedure to a prefilter. It would be up to the SF developer to make it intuitive to use. If a prefilter is simple (status = 1), it could just execute the task, and when it is ambiguous (price >100, status in (1,2,3)) it could be solved by showing some task parameters I figure.

I'm still thinking about how to UI/UX-wise make clear that a prefilter is a task too. But you could leave that up to the developer. It would be nice though to be able to change background colors seperately between ribbon items, prefilters and tasks/reports.

If you expand that by using proces flows, you can help the user by deciding what to do.

Maybe make it possible to assign a task control procedure to a prefilter. It would be up to the SF developer to make it intuitive to use. If a prefilter is simple (status = 1), it could just execute the task, and when it is ambiguous (price >100, status in (1,2,3)) it could be solved by showing some task parameters I figure.

I'm still thinking about how to UI/UX-wise make clear that a prefilter is a task too. But you could leave that up to the developer. It would be nice though to be able to change background colors seperately between ribbon items, prefilters and tasks/reports.
As much as I like the idea, I'm not entirely convinced that a UI element that acts as a button or a tile could also be a drag-drop target. The only example I can think of is dragging a file onto the Windows task bar - but as far as I know this pops up the application where you can then actually drop the file.

An alternative UI effect which accomplishes something similar would be to have a grid (or tree) grouped by issue status, in which you can drag an issue to another group, which then internally attempts to put the issue in edit mode, fills in the value of the target group, saves it, and refreshes both source and target groups.

With this in mind, what are your thoughts about this combination of ideas:

1) When adding a new row, automatically fill in values from active prefilters of the form "is equal to constant value".

2) Allow drag-drop of rows between groups within grids and trees, which attempts to edit values so the dropped rows would indeed be shown in their destination group.

3) When rows are being dragged onto a prefilter button, after a short delay the prefilter is activated. Now the dragged rows can be dropped onto the set with the activated prefilter.

4) Dropping rows onto a set with an active prefilter has the same effect dropping rows on another grid or tree group.

This fits in with the existing UI/UX, enriches it considerably, and would add at most one or two new model settings to the SF. There's also potential to extend this kind of feature to tiles, menu items, tasks, reports, etcetera.

I think this is a good translation of my idea and solves the problem. The user can drag it's record to the status = 65 prefilter, wait for it to activate (like in Windows), and drop it.
What if you switch that around? You drag the prefilter onto the line, as if you are labelling that line with the given property. I do think in order for that to make sense to a user you would need to use the same icon on the row and the prefilter...

I wonder though if anyone in the history of software development has ever done something like this before.

Unfortunately, this idea has not received enough votes. Because we want to keep the focus on ideas that are in high demand in our Community, we are closing this idea.

Updated idea status OpenClosed