Skip to main content
Solved

Merging gives error on "ref_col_role_col"

• 11 July 2024
  • 7 replies

Hello everyone,

When I try to merge a branch back into our MAIN branch I encounter the following error:

Just before I did the actual merge, I did a merge from MAIN into the branch I am working on to apply some changed that had been done. This merge, apart from some branch related merge conflicts, went just fine. But when I try to merge back to MAIN, I get this error. And I had the exact same merge conflicts I had a bit earlier. The conflicts were resolved the same way: the development branch was the leading branch for these conflicts. But each time I get an error on a reference regrading column roles. We have a suspicion it might be a recently deleted column, but that column cannot be found in any recent branch.

What could be going wrong?

Hi Sander,

What conflict resolvement did you choose that may have impacted this reference? We were notified of a specific scenario that may be the cause this issue.

Hi Mark,

I chose to use "use branch actions” (or it was called something like that, at least the branch actions). Because I wanted all branch actions to be the leading factor in this merge. As the merge conflicts only appeared on the tables, translations and code I edited for this specific issue I was tackling, so the branch was the truth.

Hi Sander, 

This indeed looks to be the issue I was referring to. For now you can choose the "Carry out origin/branch action with dependent branch/origin actions”. That will ensure the dependencies are correctly merged.

I will make sure this reaches our sprint to resolve urgently. 

To conclude, which Platform version are you running on?

Hi Mark,

We are on Platform version 2024.1

I shall use the merge action you suggest, as the merge conflicts will reappear when I try to do the merge all over.

Hi Sander, on second thought I'm not entirely sure it is the same issue. Could you report a ticket for your situation and attach a SF backup? That way we may be able to find out what the issue was and if this is indeed resolved. Thanks!

Hi Mark,

I will create a ticket, but the merge was already successful after selecting the merge strategy you suggested. So I hope you can still find the data you are after.

Great to hear! No worries, we can roll back your merge session and also examing the conflicts and action that took place. Thanks!