Solved

High database resource usage for process_flow log cleanup

• 26 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Our entire Thinkwise stack is running on Azure, this means we try to give resources just enough resources for the expected usage.

Recently we started having performance issues on our dev environment, I was able to trace the problem down to the query I included below. It appears to be a clean up for all the process_flow_schedule_logs, this runs every 5 mins and takes on average 40 seconds per run. In this time it caps out our SQL CPU for our plan.

The select query is fast, the delete makes it slow. This is as far as I looked as it's IAM but no matter what I feel like there might be some issue here causing the delete to be this slow. 

(@system_flow_log_retention int)with log_items as (
select log_id
from process_flow_schedule_log l
where not exists (select 1
from system_flow_excluded_from_log_clean_up s
where s.project_id = l.project_id
and s.project_vrs_id = l.project_vrs_id
and s.gui_appl_id = l.gui_appl_id
and s.process_flow_id = l.process_flow_id)
and (l.end_date_time is not null or l.abandoned = 1) --Make sure the system flow has finished or abandoned its scheduled run
and l.log_id < (select log_id
from process_flow_schedule_log l2
where l2.project_id = l.project_id
and l2.project_vrs_id = l.project_vrs_id
and l2.gui_appl_id = l.gui_appl_id
and l2.process_flow_id = l.process_flow_id
order by log_id desc
offset @system_flow_log_retention rows --Keep first X amount of rows
fetch first 1 rows only)

)
delete l
from log_items l

icon

Best answer by AndreKemmeren 29 September 2022, 12:10

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After rebuilding indexes on this table its back to normal run times, the index got extremely fragmented.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Andre,

I'm missing the exact question here. This query indeed runs every 5 minutes and will clean up log records according to the value of Log retention in Global settings. (IAM)

Log retention setting at IAM > Settings > Global Settings

You can edit this value to be very high - e.g. 100000, and that should ensure no items will be deleted. 

In addition or alternatively, you can Turn off the log retention for all System flows of your application using this Task here: 

Turn off log retention use

This will ensure the records will not be cleaned up, but the side effect being that the records will continue to take up storage.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The question is why this cleanup uses this much resources. The query itself doesn't use a lot but the delete is very heavy.