Solved

Generate report and save it like a record in a table

• 16 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello,

I would like to generate a report based on a table record. After the generation, I would like to insert it as a record into another table (the storage is in azure blob storage).

My attempt was with "generate report" process flow action, after which I tried inserting the value into the table with a task, however that did not work.

Would you please provide me with some tips on how to approach this subject? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Freddy 16 August 2023, 13:58

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Elena,

The Generate report process action is a system flow action and cannot be used inside process flow for the time being.

This will mean you would need to create a way for the user to queue a report generation. Once a queue record is created, a system flow that runs at a desired interval will pick up the record and generated the specified report. After that, the returned file data can be written to the desired place. Considering that it is Azure blob storage, you can use the Write file process action and select the storage location that is tied to the Azure blob storage. Indicium will then write the report file to Azure blob storage.

Example system flow - In decision, set continue = 1 if report queued, else 0

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response.

I tried something similar with the "HTTP Connector", however, I want to insert the report as a record in another table, and I am not certain of how to achieve this without getting duplicate reports (one coming from the report generation and one after inserting the record into the other table, which automatically gets saved in azure).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ah, I understand. I would expect that it needs a HTTP connector to use Indicium's API to add a record to that table with the information that you've gathered. 

Sadly I miss the experience with that particular functionality. Maybe someone else here on the Community can help out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response.

I tried something similar with the "HTTP Connector", however, I want to insert the report as a record in another table, and I am not certain of how to achieve this without getting duplicate reports (one coming from the report generation and one after inserting the record into the other table, which automatically gets saved in azure).

Depends on ‘the other table’ where it is and how you can access it.  I see 3 options:

• The write_file like @Mark Jongeling suggested where you use the platforms storage locations. 
  • The http_connector where you use an API of sorts to get the record inserted in Azure.
  • The database_connector. 

The flow stays the same generate_report > do something with the report (one of the above)

The part on duplication I don't really follow..  you generate a report and process it..  if you have no intention of keeping the generated one you can delete it with the delete_file connector (if you have saved it somewhere along the way)..