Show more information during 'Generate source code' step

Related products: Software Factory

However the source code generation step has never failed me, I sometimes wonder if it is doing something. I’d like to have a more verbose output of what it is actually doing and at what step the generation process is.

Currently we only see this and just have to wait:

It would be nice if we are able to see the smaller steps that are happening inside a specific step. The advantage is two-fold. It keeps you up to date and makes it visible if there are any steps that are running slowly.

Hi Robert Jan,

For instance, we could show the program object name that is being generated. Would that suffice? 

If so, we probably would also have to incorporate following the active step just like in Generate definitions. Depending on the size of the project, these could be easily 1000+ program objects. But the same applies to the Generate definition screen of course :smile:

Updated idea statusNewNeeds feedback

Yeah, something like that. Just so you get a little more feedback instead of waiting around for like 5 to 10 minutes (depending on project and server sizing).

Could just be a ‘wall of text’ scrolling by instead of something more complicated.

Updated idea statusNeeds feedbackOpen

OpenOn the backlog

On the backlogWorking on it!

Hi Robert-Jan,

I'm pleased to announce we have implemented your idea into the Software factory. From version 2023.1, more information is shown during the Generate source code process:

Generate source code with steps

Instead of showing all program objects that would be generated, we opted for dividing it into  Code groups. The main reason for that is to keep the list of steps visible on screen as showing all program objects individually could potentially result in listing 5000+ steps. By showing the different code groups being generated, you will have the insight in what the process is busy with. 

The number behind the step indicates the amount of program object that need to be generated within that code group. The higher the number, the generally longer it takes.

Hopes this helps all voters. 😁

Working on it!Next release

Next releaseCompleted