Jump between SF screens

Related products: Software Factory

Hello dear Community readers,

In the upcoming release of 2023.1 we expect to technically change the way screens are opened for every screen that used the ribbon to select a project and version (so almost all SF screens).

A side-effect is that is it now possible to automatically (read: with process flows) open other SF screens without losing the connection to your selected project and version. 

I could think of a few places where this is very helpful, for instance to switch from data model to subject with respect for the table that you were working on.

My question to you is; where would you like to use this the most in the Software Factory?

I would love to hear your ideas!

Greetings,

Ester 

Product Owner SF & IAM

I would really like to actually have an integration between datamodel/subject to its related code templates… now you always have to search it and in many projects not always logical names are used. 

I can imagine it would now be more easier to have easy way to do this. 

Other ideas:

• Domains (within subject/datamodel) to where used columns
  • Table /Task/report (variants) to where used.. (the existing screen is a bit cryptic imho.) 
  • Automatic search on entity in code search…  so if I'm on a field that I want to delete to get easier access to where it is used in model and templates.. 

Of course to stimulate the use of definition area you could have automatic links to this area from a subject/datamodel perspective. 

Hey Freddy,

For your first point, I think you mean the code overview screen? 

That could be a cool feature to go from subject and from data model to this screen.

I also really like the option to automatically do a code search on a table name. I did not think about that one.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hey Freddy,

For your first point, I think you mean the code overview screen? 

That could be a cool feature to go from subject and from data model to this screen.

I also really like the option to automatically do a code search on a table name. I did not think about that one.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yes, and also the related object. Would be more powerful to go from there to the related subject full featured. 

And speaking of the code overview screen. Would be great to jump from the program object items to the actual functionality.  

I would love to see the automatic code search on table, column and domains. Perhaps it can be fixed that with every new version you first have to open the search screen. Click on the search icon.. close it and open it again to start the actual search..

We would love to hear more from the Community! 😄

@Harm Horstman and @Blommetje, we had an excellent conversation after the Release event. Can you both share your thoughts regarding this idea?

Hi @Mark Jongeling,

Yes indeed, with all the smart new features that are now available in the platform, I see opportunities to relatively easily make changes to the SF to make the modeling process many times more efficient.

First, I would merge existing screens to create and maintain tables much more efficiently. Think of combinations such as:
Tables + Subjects + Code Overview + Functionality
Tasks + Subroutines + Code Overview + Functionality

I am also thinking of Wizard-like tasks for quickly adding a new column to a table. After which a domain is automatically created (if not existing), all control procedures linked to the table are updated (e.g. Default, Layout and Context) and translation objects are created.

And the same method for adding task parameters.

I am sure that the number of actions and mouse clicks can be drastically reduced and applications can be modeled much faster.

Hello everybody,

Thanks for all the input!

For the 2023.2 release, we have removed the “functionality” detail (not the main screen) and made it possible to jump to the code overview screen from:

• Process actions
  • Process flows
  • Tasks 
  • Reports
  • Subroutines
  • Data model (tables)

We also made it possible to jump:

• From code overview to the control procedure and template. 
  • From control procedure - Result to other control procedures or templates.
  • From data model (tables) to User interface - Subjects.
  • From code search to control procedure, template or program object.

We really like this feature ourself, but are also interested to see how this is received. Once you are working with it and notice that you are missing it on specific places, please feel free to add new ideas about those places.

For now, we are going to close this topic.

Under reviewNext release

Not quite sure if i completely understand the concept. But maybe it would be nice to jump to the ‘Model rights’ screen from objects like tasks, prefilters, process flows, subroutines etc. This way we can more easily oversee which roles already have access to an object, making it easier to assign these roles to a new object. For example, if i have some prefilters available in a subject for a specific role, and i were to add another prefilter to that subject, i would like to see which roles have access to the other existing prefilters to make it easier to identify which roles i need to assign to the new prefilter.

Hi @BramG,

That's an excellent idea.

However, I would like to ask you to create a separate idea for this, as mentioned by Ester in her previous reply. This way, we keep focus and it is more clear which votes apply to the jumping-concept in general, and which votes apply to your idea on applying this concept to the model rights.

Thanks in advance!

Next releaseCompleted