Placeholder config files to make updates easier.

Related products: Universal GUI Indicium Service Tier

Instead of including config.json, web.config and appsettings.json files that break my instance after installing an update include them with a default_ or example_ prefix.

That way I can just take the folder with the new Universal files and have someone paste them over the old ones. Now I constantly need to assist the IT staff because we don’t have access to the application servers.

You should only need to touch settings files at the original point of installation and when something changes in said settings. 

Updated idea status NewOpen

If you use Indicium on Azure as an App Service, you can apply a workaround for appSettings.json. It's explained here:

The values in appSettings.json are overwritten by the settings defined in the Azure portal.

Client just deployed a new version and overwrote the config file. 

Have the config file in the deployment named config_default or something would be very benifitial.

This also goes for the custom.css and manifest.json

Just my 2 cents, from my Azure deployments trying to make it as less time consuming. More can be automated but due to time constraints i came up with below.

Pre-requisite:

Create a folder containing the constant files of Universal as Universal_files. ie. Icons, configs, etc

Create a folder containing the constant files of Universal as Indicium_files. ie. Icons, configs, etc

Create a pre-upgrade script that cleans the folder of Universal/Indicium (rm -rf *)

Create a post-upgrade script that copies the constant files from *_files to the related folder. ie. Copy from Universal_Files to wwwroot, Search and replace Thinkwise in html, etc

Best Practice execution flow:

1. Stop the App Service
  2. Go to Kudu
  3. Run the Pre-Upgrade
  4. Drag & Drop the  GUI Zip in relevant folder
  5. Run the Post-Upgrade as soon as the zip are extracted by Kudu
  6. Start the App Service

As Rene already mentioned configs in Azure are in the App service so they are more safe there than in a file.