Improve the workflow for maintaining unit tests

Related products: Software Factory

Currently creating and maintain unit tests is extremely cumbersome, to illustrate I’ve written down the steps I needed to take to fix the unit test for a simple default.

1.    Go to Unit Test
2.    Run unit tests
3.    Filter on Failed Unit test
4.    Have a look at actual output
5.    Open functionality
6.    Try to find the code the unit tests is based on
7.    Check the code
8.    Go back to the unit tests and op the maintenance tab
9.    Go back to Unit tests to copy the name of the failed unit tests since the failed unit test is not by default selected.
10.   Check input parameters
11.   Select tab expected output -> check output parameters
12.   Check Mock Data to see which data set is coupled
13.   Select tab Mock data set
14.   Select data set that is coupled to the unit test (again I need to do this manualy since there is no reference)
15.   Look for the tables that are used in the code
16.   Go back to the tab with the input parameters to check how the code will interact with the mock data
17.   Open the mock data to see the expected value
18.   Fix the mock data.

A big problem here is that the UI is failing me, I need to keep switching back and forth between tabs to look at the input/output parameters, mock data and actual code. Furthermore is switching between these tabs made difficult because there are no reference in place to open the detail I’m working on and need to keep looking for this.
I don’t have a cut and dried solution for this problem but I do think this part of the SF could be improved by having a look at which information should be shown when (maybe an elaborate screen type of some sort) and reevaluating the workflow. 

NewOpen

Hi @HarryA,

In the 2023.1 release, we already have made some improvements to the usability of the unit tests:

• The Maintenance tab is no longer available. Instead, you can now navigate directly to a unit test's Form tab.
  • Tabs Object overview and Mock data have been moved to a higher level, so it is no longer necessary to enter the details of a unit test to navigate to these tabs.

unit tests Create a unit test in the Form

I will Open the idea for the voting of the remaining suggestion of your idea 😄

Sounds good, looking forward for 2023.1! Sound like a great step forward with all the promised functionalities 😃

Hi @HarryA,

In the 2023.2 release, we made several mock data improvements: https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/blog/2023.2#quality---unit-test-mock-data-improvements

I also want to look into the possibility to easily navigate from a Unit test to its related Control procedure using a task button, as described here: https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/blog/2023.2#easy-navigation-to-code

Taking these changes/plans into account, and the 2023.1 changes as Mark described in an earlier reaction, would this suffice for a more user friendly experience?

If not, I suggest that we close this idea and create a separate idea for what remains. That way we can keep focus and recollect votes for those specific suggestions.

OpenNeeds feedback

Hi @Jeroen van den Belt,

Yes I think this will make the UX a lot better. If we’ve got any further ideas I’ll raise a separate idea for those.

Thanks for the improvements 😀

Needs feedbackCompleted