Custom tooltips for data fields

Related products: Windows GUI Universal GUI

To enable end users to work more efficiently in applications, tool tips can make an important contribution.

Such functionality is already available in the scheduler, but this would also be a valuable feature for grids, forms and card lists.

For example, full information of an asset can be given, while the only the code of an asset is shown in a maintenance list. A shortcut/link to the asset screen could be part of the tooltip.

Simply put, I would like to capture in the column definition the name of a function that returns an HTML output that will be displayed as ToolTip if the cursor is on the field for more than 2 or 3 seconds. By on-demand executing the tooltip function, filling grids and forms can remain fast.

Input parameters of the ToolTip function:
tab_id
variant_id
col_id
row_id    (=  PK field values of selected row)    

Hi Harm,

Is this Idea covering the discussion that is related to tooltips in the Universal Forecast comments section?

Hi,

I don’t know but I wish to have this available as soon as possible in the Web and Windows GUI as long as our applications, which are mainly used by traditional desktop users, cannot be converted to Universal. 

@mperrott I don’t think so. The comments regarding tooltips in Universal forecast deal with the basic concept of showing the Tooltip from the Translation in the Universal GUI, which could serve as help information for the user to understand the purpose of a field.

I believe what @Harm Horstman is requesting is a tooltip on a Lookup column that shows additional columns from the table of the Lookup value. This would be displayed (and clickable for opening in a new Document) on hover over on the Pop-up icon for example. It would be a more slick way to provide additional information on a record to users, without them having to click or open a separate screen.

I believe this is very similar to (part of) the Compact Layout concept of Salesforce:

When a user hovers over a lookup relationship field on the object record page, a highlights panel for that field also displays the first seven fields from the compact layout.

@Harm Horstman am I right in explaining your Idea?

Yes, this is more or less what I mean.  

@mperrott I don’t think so. The comments regarding tooltips in Universal forecast deal with the basic concept of showing the Tooltip from the Translation in the Universal GUI, which could serve as help information for the user to understand the purpose of a field.

I believe what @Harm Horstman is requesting is a tooltip on a Lookup column that shows additional columns from the table of the Lookup value. This would be displayed (and clickable for opening in a new Document) on hover over on the Pop-up icon for example. It would be a more slick way to provide additional information on a record to users, without them having to click or open a separate screen.

I believe this is very similar to (part of) the Compact Layout concept of Salesforce:

When a user hovers over a lookup relationship field on the object record page, a highlights panel for that field also displays the first seven fields from the compact layout.

@Harm Horstman am I right in explaining your Idea?

Hi @Arie V,

Seems to me that tooltip was removed from the Roadmap of the Universal. I will be opening an idea on the tooltips for Universal. Feel free to add any additional comments on the new Idea there.

NewOpen

In addition, I think the solution for this could be very ‘Model-driven’:

• By showing the columns in the Tooltip that are defined in the Cardlist setup
  • By using a Zoom Open Document action to allow for opening the record from the Tooltip