Solved

using subreports SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS )

• 6 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Apprentice
  • 8 replies

Hi All,

I have a question about using subreports in SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) in Thinkwise.
Currently for testing I am using Microsoft Visual Studio (using Report Server Project) to make a simple main report with a subreport.
What I did was I made 2 reports (see Figure 1). First the MainReport.rdl and second the SubReport.rdl Then in the MainReport insert subreport item then right-click on subreport item then Subreport properties then under "Use this report as a subreport:" I select the subreport file I made earlier named SubReport.

In Software Factory in Reports I'm using for Report type "SSRS (Local)" then in File I select the MainReport.rdl. When I'm opening the report in application I get an error (see Figure 2) saying that subreport could not be found at specified location....
What I did I moved the subreport to the specified location given in the error and renamed the file from .rdl to .rdlc and got the expected result information on the subreport.

My questions:

Is that the way to work with subreports by moving reports to the specified location an renaming them to .rdlc ?
What does Thinkwise recommend is the best way to work with subreports using SSRS ?
Can the option Report Type "SSRS (Local)" in Software Factory be used when using reports containing subreports ? 
What is the option Report Type SSRS (Server). Is this used when setting a SQL Reportng Services Server in native mode ? Can this option may be used for working with subreports ?

Looking for some answers. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Timothy

Figure 1 - Main report and subreport in VS

Figure 2 - Subreport error

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 9 November 2020, 08:49

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Goodmorning Tim,

A big disadvantage of SSRS is that it creates separate reports files for subreports. This does not work well with the uploading of reports in the Software Factory.

Seeing from your topic you have the following 4 questions:

Is that the way to work with subreports by moving reports to the specified location an renaming them to .rdlc ?

It may possibly be the only way to, but it's not recommended. When you put the subreport into the Cache folder of the GUI, it does work but when you synchronize your application  to IAM again (new model/changing authorization), the Cache folder gets emptied and that means your subreport will not be available anymore.

What does Thinkwise recommend is the best way to work with subreports using SSRS ?

We don’t reccomend working with subreports using SSRS. Instead, it's recommended to use Nested Data Regions.

Can the option Report Type "SSRS (Local)" in Software Factory be used when using reports containing subreports ? 

It's better to not use this.

What is the option Report Type SSRS (Server). Is this used when setting a SQL Reportng Services Server in native mode ? Can this option may be used for working with subreports ?

SSRS (Server) is for the server-side variant of SSRS, where the reports are present on the SSRS Server. I'm not sure it matters if the server is in Native or Sharepoint mode.

Is there a specific reason you are using or working with client-side SSRS reports?

At Thinkwise we recommend using DevExpress reports since it's more powerful and we offer a DevExpress report editor through TCP.

I hope this answers your questions!

Credits to @Jasper for the answers!

Kind regards,
Mark Jongeling