Solved

Usage of MSSQL Row level security

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Is it possible to make use of the MSSQL Row level security functionality in Thinkwise? If so, where can I configure this?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/row-level-security?view=sql-server-ver16

icon

Best answer by Anne Buit 1 March 2023, 15:45

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thanks Anne!

I might can do it in the Dynamic model, I'll give it a try :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, this is correct.

When developing the reports, you should take into account that the report is prepared under the database pool service account and that user-specific row-level authorization should be applied.

This also the case for object authorization - a report may use a table as data source that is not granted to the user requesting the report.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that when a user opens it via Thinkwise, it will filter it through the filters.However, when, for example, I have a report in SSRS, it still will show the data, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Peter,

The Thinkwise Platform does not support security predicates as this functionality is pretty much covered by locked prefilters and data authorization prefilters that you can configure in the Software Factory.

Keep in mind that in many situations, the database is not accessed directly by the user via a login present on the database. Instead, the database is accessed via a database pool service account.