ReportMailer not compatible with Microsoft Office 2019

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I get the following error when I execute a task which use the TSFReportMailer in the Windows GUI of our application. I receive this error message since the installation of Microsoft Office 2019. Which steps do I need to take to fix this problem?

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have submitted a fix for review. I will let you know when it becomes available in a GUI release.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Dennis, could you go to your Windows directory, then to the 'assembly' subdirectory, and tell me what version Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook has? See screenshot below. With that information I may be able to implement a fix for you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Hi Henk,

I followed the steps you asked me to do. The product version is 15.0.4569.1507.

I also made a print screen of the debugger information.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Next Tuesday this fix is planned for release. Please let us know if you experience any problems. Thanks.

Henk
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Hi Henk,

I've download en released the newest Windows GUI 2019.1.16.

As you can see below, the system now give the message: "Could not initialize Outlook". It looks like the issue isn't solved completely.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I haven't yet received a response/solution to the above message. When I reproduce the situation the debugger gives the following error-messages.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Dennis,

At the moment we're looking into setting up a test machine, and this time we'll have to be sure that the installed Microsoft Office version is the correct one. The next 2 weeks though we're focusing on releasing the next SF version (2019.2) so any kind of fix will be released no earlier than October 8th.

In the meantime, as a workaround, you could copy the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll from your C:\Windows\assembly directory to the Components\Office subfolder of the Windows GUI. Please make sure to backup the existing dll before overwriting it with anything else. cmd.exe works for copying, see screenshot below:

The copy command would look like this:

`copy C:\Windows\assembly\...\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll C:\...\MyGUIFolder\Components\Office`

Hope this helps.

Henk
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I've followed the steps you described. As you can see I copied the dll (Version 15.0.4569.1507) to the C:\...\GUIFolder\Components\Office\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll.

Unfortunately this workaround doesn't seem to be the solution for the problem. The debugger still throws the "Could not load file or assembly" error. It seems that it's looking for the copied file since the message now contains version 15.0.4569.1507.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ah, in that case it is likely that the problem is not that the GUI cannot find the proper DLL as I assumed, but rather that no .NET program at all would be able to load it. At this point I don't have enough information to know why this is the case unfortunately.

Would you be so kind to report an issue in TCP (https://office.thinkwisesoftware.com/tcp/) and add that particular DLL as an attachment? Thanks in advance.

Henk
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Dennis, a colleague of mine just came up with a new hypothesis for what could cause the problem. Some DLL's will fail to load if the GUI is run under a set of permissions which is different from the Office installer. This can happen for example if you run a GUI as Administrator.

Is this something that is worth further investigation?

Henk
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Hi Henk,

At the moment everything is worth investigating because right now my colleague cannot send anything from the system.

I don't know if this is exactly what you mean but I've executed the shortcut of our system as Administrator, did the same for Outlook and tried again without success.

Actually I'm surprised that we're the first with this problem since the release date of Outlook 2019 on September 24, 2018.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11

This problem has suddenly returned to my colleague today. After trying all the previous steps: 

Still version 15.0.4569.1507
  1. Check the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook version
  2. Copied C:\Windows\assembly\...\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll to the local user directory C:\Users\...\Components\Office\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll.
  3. Executed the application as Run as administrator 
  4. Executed Outlook as Run as administrator 

The last step seemed to be the solution. There are also users (with a different Outlook version including myself) who don't have to open Outlook as administrator. Can anyone explain this?