Solved

Minor questions regarding the Upcycler

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

I was playing with the Upcycler. In general things went ok, but I have 2 questions. 

5 files failed with importing the data. Is it possible to only run these 5 files again, by removing the successful files from the folder, of might that conflict with things? Or do all the files need be run in 1 batch (and thus removing the data from the db for a new run)? And what would be the advice in fixing these issues? e.g.; A table name is ‘INDEX’ , so sql doesn’t accept it. What stage of the upcycling would be best to change this? 

Also, the encoding of the data files .json was selected by the Upcycler, but when importing it was not the correct Encoding. I selected the utf-8-bom for importing and then it worked. Is this something that I could have seen in advance? 

Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Theo Neeskens 15 June 2022, 13:36

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Badge +1

Good that you were able to proceed!

The Extractor has been designed as a command line tool because:

• We could not write it as a Thinkwise application as its main use is with potential customers that do have Thinkwise yet. So we made it a 3GL application.
  • We want the installation and distribution of the Extractor to be a simple as possible, so we can simply email it to potential customers and it does not require additional components.
  • GUI in 3GL requires additional components (and is expensive to make/test/maintain)

A GUI would be easier to use, for me as well, but we will not add that unless we think it will add significant additional sales.

PS:
Can you add your issue with the table name to TCP? This might be interesting to pick in a future release of the Upcycler.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

Thanks, Yes, in the end I got it working. Fixing the encoding was not the problem; it just surprised that Upcycler select it for you, but apparently not the correct one. 

For the tablename that was not accepted; I skipped this table with the Upcycler and just imported the data directly from one Db to the new Upcycled Db. I assume that should not be a problem. 

Will there be a gui in the future for extracting the meta/data in the future? Since that whole command line and then switching to the Upcycler could be easier. 

Thanks! 

Badge +1

Hi,

1. Import only some of the files:
    Yes you can remove the files that were successfully imported and run the data import again. You will get “file not found” for the files that you removed but that is OK. 

2. Unacceptable table name:
    We did not take that possibility into account, but this is indeed possible if you upcycle from one RDBMS to another. You will have to improvise with this one. The import functionality of the Upcycler uses the definitions in the source model, so need to take action very early in the process. Maybe you can manually edit the model.json? Or if you have access to the legacy environment, make the change there.

3. Encoding of files:
    You can easily check the encoding of your files by opening them with Notepad. In the bottom right of the screen it shows the encoding. (The default will change to UTF-8 BOM in the new version of the Upcycler.)