Solved

How to remove a specific record as part of a test case?

• 16 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have recorded two test cases:

1. Add a specific record;
  2. Remove a specific record.

The first one is no problem, but the second one wants to remove another record.

While recording I've included a step for filtering for that specific record before removing it. It seems that this filtering step is not recorded and reproduced.

Two questions:

1. Why is filtering not recorded?
  2. How to remove a specific record if you're not able to filter on it?
icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 17 February 2021, 08:53

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

Trying this out myself in the Win GUI 2021.1.13 and everything goes as expected. The record is correctly added, filtering recorded and the row is deleted afterwards:

Which GUI are you using? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

I see, the Excel style filtering does not end up in the recorder. Not sure if that is intended or but if it is, it should be noted in the Documentation.

I will contact our development team and see if this is intended or not and create an issue for you in TCP accordingly.

In my test I didn't get a Go to row entry since my selection was already on that row. The values I fill in do not represent the Primary key, there is an underlying identity number. The Priority order number is just a integer.

When I do change my row selection and then go back to the newest row, it also ends up in an error because it's an identity:

What you can do, is set a Display column for the table. Then the Go to row does work like you expect:

This way the GUI will not that the Identity value as Display column, but a column that is always the same in your tests no matter how many times you ran it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

An TCP issue (81101) has been created regarding the Excel style filtering not being recorded. 

Two questions:

1. Why is filtering not recorded?
  2. How to remove a specific record if you're not able to filter on it?
  1. Because it's currently not supported by the Test recorder
  2. Use quick filtering/combined filtering/filter form as alternative filtering method
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

It looks like the Test recorder doesn't work well with the delete button. I will make a TCP issue for this too as this shouldn't result in an error.

Issue 81154 is created.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I am using the same GUI as you are:

The only difference seems to be the kind of filter used. I used the filter on top of the column. Deselecting all options and reselecting the one I'd want to delete.

Using the quickfilter that you use is indeed recorded into the test case.

However running the test cases I get an error on different primary key:

As this is an Identity, it has a different value every time. I wander if in your example this is an identity, of a manually entered primary key?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Mark,

Not sure what you mean by GO TO?

I tried the filter-option and filtered on the name. This worked and even though the record was correctly deleted there came an error:

Any idea what's going on? Why is the record correctly removed, but still the test case fails?

PS Removing this second delete_row actually does the trick. Extra question: Why is there a second delete_row step?