Filter form with required values

Related products: Software Factory Windows GUI Universal GUI Indicium Service Tier

It would be a nice feature if we could make certain filter form values mandatory and set a default value. Especially with big datasets you would require the user to for example fill in minimal 3 filter criteria before actually executing the filter.. (in this case we would start empty with filter). 

Hi Freddy,

Could you combine the "Start empty with filter” setting with page sizing of e.g. 500 records? This way, the loading of data will be limited to 500 records and will benefit the performance. This will make mandatory filter form fields not per se necessary.

Would that be a good alternative solution to your idea?

Hi Freddy,

Could you combine the "Start empty with filter” setting with page sizing of e.g. 500 records? This way, the loading of data will be limited to 500 records and will benefit the performance. This will make mandatory filter form fields not per se necessary.

Would that be a good alternative solution to your idea?

The page size setting doesn't limit the query per sé I believe. And besides that there is the count() query that calculates the number of results and that requires the whole dataset.

What works for me now is to have one filter field at the moment, if I empty that one it basically doesn't start getting all results..  A combo for example has downside if you remove a choice and makes it empty it start loading everything. 

And this leads to various performance issues,, because lookups on references are calculated based on the existence in the context table, I made another post on this.  Therefore it would be good to state with a lookup reference if it should always just show the the records of the reference in stead of first left joining it with the context table and subsequently group it to unique existing options. 

And of course there are alternative ways, putting a categorization table in front of the main table forces a filter because you are caught in its context.  The idea is a bit have this done through the filter form directly on a main table. To for example prohibit the user to make it empty. 

Updated idea statusNeeds feedbackOpen

Unfortunately, this idea has not received enough votes. Because we want to keep the focus on ideas that are in high demand in our Community, we are closing this idea.

OpenClosed