Upload and process multiple files (Drag & Drop)

Related products: Windows GUI

Quite often users need to upload multiple files from Windows Explorer and/or Outlook (attachments).

I wish there was something like a ''Multi File Upload" control, with drag & drop, that enables this.

After this I like to handle each incoming file with a process flow.

Or is there already a workaround, to achieve this?
Hi Harm,

We do provide an upload component capable of uploading multiple files to disk in the Windows GUI (using an extender) but not yet for Web unfortunately.

Will web support this in the near future? :) 

Hi Blommetje,

We currently have no plans to implement this for the web GUI.

(In the Universal GUI it is most likely already possible using custom HTML/JavaScript in a preview component.)

It was quite challenging, but I managed to pull it off with a self-built plugin that works within the preview component of the Windows and WebGUI. I expect it should also work within the Universal GUI.

Uploading photos and other files is super fast to the file system or Azure file storage and we are also able to extract meta data, such as GPS coordinates from files and resize photos before they are stored.

Integration is possible within any Thinkwise application.

Awesome Harm! Great use of the previewer component :thumbsup_tone1:

@Harm Horstman Great stuff! We would definitely like to use this in the Universal GUI. Would you care to share the code?

Perhaps even worth a ThinkStore article!

Hi Guys, 

this seems like a solution we and other developers would love to implement. Do any of you have an example or write up on how to implement this? Would love to see a ThinkStore article about this but there doesn’t seem to be one yet.

@Harm Horstman It looks really handy and definitely something we could use for our project. I took a look in the thinkstore and saw that this solution was not available there. Would you be willing to share the code?

Hi @tiago , sorry for my late reply. For me no problem I am willing to share the solution. But I think it would be much better to do this together with the development team to come to a proper solution which will work for everyone.

Hi all,

A multi-file upload component is absolutely something we want to offer for the Universal GUI in the future. Unfortunately, we cannot use the same code for the Universal GUI as for the Web GUI, as the Universal GUI works through the Indicium API. Furthermore, implementing this component also requires an extension of the Thinkwise Platform's meta model, so the impact is higher than providing just a new user interface component.

An alternative would be to create your own custom component in the Universal GUI for the time being, similar to the one Harm created. Custom components have full access to the Indicium API, for example for uploading files.

Hi everyone,

An example custom component for the Universal GUI to upload multiple files to Indicium is available here:

Upload multiple files using the Universal GUI | Thinkwise Community (thinkwisesoftware.com)