Task to renumber column numbers

Related products: Software Factory

There are already task under "Subject" to renumber the columns in the Grid, on the Form or in a Card list.

But as far as I know there is no such task to renumber the columns in a table. When, for example, importing a table from another table leaving out some of the original tables, gaps in the column numbering are introduced.

Also when adding columns and one wants to place them between a few other columns to keep things in a logical order, this is possible, but after various alterations you'll run out of free numbers to instert.

So why not add a taks to resequence colums as well? To keep things neat, after all.
This task should be available for all screens (lists) which have one of these order-no fields.
The task 'Renumber columns' already exists under 'Data model' -> 'Columns'. (we are using SF 2018.3)

Ah, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

But why is it not available in all locations where one can "see" column definitions? It's all a matter of variants of tables and/or tasks and how they are presented (screen types).

The only reason I can think of is when one would authorise the SF for specific functions (Developer, Designer, Reviewer etc etc and keeping some individuals out of places within the SF where they have no business of being); but I doubt whether it's wise or even possible to create groups witin the SF's IAM (only sf_developer is shipped with SF's IAM) and split up the use of the SF for specific groups in the organisation (that's actually something I'm looking into currently).
Ah, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

But why is it not available in all locations where one can "see" column definitions? It's all a matter of variants of tables and/or tasks and how they are presented (screen types).

The only reason I can think of is when one would authorise the SF for specific functions (Developer, Designer, Reviewer etc etc and keeping some individuals out of places within the SF where they have no business of being); but I doubt whether it's wise or even possible to create groups witin the SF's IAM (only sf_developer is shipped with SF's IAM) and split up the use of the SF for specific groups in the organisation (that's actually something I'm looking into currently).

Technically it is possible to use the IAM_ONT to authorise the SF. But you need extended knowledge about the meta-model, to configure it well. It would be nice if the platform had pre-defined roles for the different types of developers/modellers/designers etc.
We try to focus the various menu items of the Software Factory around a specific activity. This is done to prevent screens from overflowing with information and actions not relevant to the current activity.

When working on the data model, tasks to renumber the column order numbers are available. Likewise, when working on the form, tasks to renumber the form are available.

I hope this explains the reasoning.

With 2019.1 it is no longer possible to use IAM_ONT to create roles for the Software Factory since roles are no longer developed in IAM. Rest assured, we are looking into releasing the Software Factory with a proper set of roles. But we digress, this is a bit offtopic.

Can we consider this idea resolved with the information provided by K. Bakkenes ?
@Anne Buit

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I have to start making more use of the various entry points, which I already do, but not plenty enough.... 😁

Looking forward to them roles in the SF 2019.1... Assumed it was already out there, but without extra roles presumably.