Solved

Users in SF (Settings)

• 13 May 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +12
Does anybody have a clue what the table "Users" contributes to the SF? I mean, a role can be assigned to a particular user, but what the actual effect is, who knows? The following explanation in the Thinkwise manual doesn't contribute much to my understanding of this particular table:
"Provides an overview of the registered users of the Software Factory development environment, including their roles (Analyst, Designer, Developer, Reviewer, Tester). Users are added automatically on first login."

It would be great when a certain user is marked as a "Designer" this would effectively result in lesser menu options for that person. But as far as I can tell, what is entered here doesn't effect anything in a users experience when starting the SF.

What I'd like to see is additional roles in the SF's IAM that would give users the tools to be a Designer, Tester, Reviewer and so on, and no more. I could try to create roles and groups in IAM that would result in that kind of functionality, but I'm afraid it is frowned upon by Thinkwise or might result in a failed upgrade of a future SF.

In short: is it "allowed" to differentiate the look and feel of the SF within IAM by creating additional groups and roles? Or will Thinkwise deliver such groups and roles? I'd like to see at least the roles that are defined in the Users table (SF-->Settings-->Users) and see limited functionality within the SF for, for example, a "Designer".

Also: how does one cleanup this table? There are rows in there, 9 years old and created on a server within the Thinkwise local network....

icon

Best answer by Jasper 15 May 2019, 16:21

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Henri,

The Users table is only used to store some user specific settings, like the last project version the user selected in the ribbon. It doesn't have any effect in the user's authorization profile.

Since we have moved roles from IAM to the SF in the 2019.1 release, it wouldn't be of much use to create additional roles in IAM. You would lose those roles once you upgrade. We have planned to provide a proper set of roles for the Software Factory with the 2019.2 release, including matching user groups, and will probably remove the role fields from the Users table then.

If you can't wait that long, feel free to create your own roles in IAM, but be aware that its just a temporary solution.

Cleaning up the table is not trivial because it is referenced from quite a lot of other tables. We should probably just hide the table in future versions.